Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
me again. I need help with my MX.
I found another problem with my car. Everytime I start my car, it makes horrible screeching noise.
The strange thing is, it only makes sound when the car is not moving (with engine on).
Could it be the belt problem?
I livin in US, any suggestion where i can fix it?
(not dealer, they are too far from where I live).
Can Tuffy or Jiffy Lube handle this problem? or even by myself?
Thank you guys...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Maxie-6gurl said:
hey guys,
me again. I need help with my MX.
I found another problem with my car. Everytime I start my car, it makes horrible screeching noise.
The strange thing is, it only makes sound when the car is not moving (with engine on).
Could it be the belt problem?
I livin in US, any suggestion where i can fix it?
(not dealer, they are too far from where I live).
Can Tuffy or Jiffy Lube handle this problem? or even by myself?
Thank you guys...

Usually, screeching like that is caused by a loose or glazed accessory belt. You can try getting some "belt dressing" from an auto parts store and spraying a bit on but you're probably better off getting a new belt(s) altogether.

In any case, do yourself a bit of a favor and spray a little penetrating oil on the belt tensioner threads to make adjustment easier later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same problem

I had the exact same problem. I just got the belts changed and I tried the belt dressing. One of the belts just needed to be tightened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey i had the same problem with new belts.it turned out to be that i neeeded a new valve cover gasket and oil was leaking on my belt.go figure

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
or if your car battery died, it's your alternator trying to recover the lost juice..I had that problem once with my 95, I just replaced the battery...where is the sound coming from specifically, if it sounds localized, could be the alternator...anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you looked under the bonnet. I hear that in America there are raccoons (spelling?) that like to get inside engine bays. Maybe you have a raccoon stuck in there and it's freaking out until the movement of the car sends it back to sleep? Has it been happening long? I wouldn't think the little things would last that long without food and water.

Just a thought, might be worth investigating.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well that was happening to me(not the racoons-lol) but loud screeching noise, i just bought new belts and changed them myself, they r not too difficult to change, only hard if the bolt is rusted and breaks like mine did, then u have to buy a new bolt from the dealer ship
its pretty easy to tighten/change them, there is a long bolt that u can accsess through the top of the car to move a pulley/wheel untill it is loose enough to get off
and then the other bolt for the other belt is underneith the car on the passenger side, i think i took the right front tire off to make it easier to get under there
well hope that kinda helps
it really isnt that hard-if i can it anyone can

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well i tried to reply to this before and i didnt see it up on the board so if its there sorry for posting again

But i have had that problem before(definitly not from racoons though-lol) but it was my belts, they r very easy to change/tighten
There is a bolt that u can acsess from the top of the engine over by the belts, u can loosen and tighten it. to change the belt just keep loosen it(it moves one of the pulley/wheels) untill the belt is loose enough to slide off, be careful not to break the bolt-i did this and had to get anew one from the dealer ship-not costly but they have to order it so it takes a few days
but the other belt has the same bolt but u have to get under the car on the passenger side to get to it, i think i took off the right front tire to get easier accsess
well i hope this helps
if i can do it-anyone can

peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts