Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's -30c and when I tried to put my seat belt on, it wouldn't stay engaged. The belt just pops out of the receiver. I am guessing that it's either being sticky because of the cold weather or it's broken. I tried a little WD40 but it didn't help.

Is there a way to open it and repair it inside or do I need to replace the whole seat belt receiver part (the part with the red "PRESS" button)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if the buckle is broken, you can take your car to your local mazda dealer and get both of them replaced for free, there was a recall on them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the car is a 1991, when I call them they kind of laugh at me and basically say there's nothing available for the car. A replacement part is only $45, but can anyone confirm how to kind of force the issue? Is there a website where I can check if there are recalls available? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called up my old dealership in Victoria BC, good guys, they said yep there's an unlimited recall on seat belts, free of charge. Now I just need to convince the dealership here to do it. They said the replacement ones might be black regardless of original interior colour, good enough.

·
Registered
819 Posts
if the buckle is broken, you can take your car to your local mazda dealer and get both of them replaced for free, there was a recall on them.
I too had an issue with my seat belt and asked my local dealer if there was a recall and they said no and that there was no technical service bulliten on that car either. I'll say this though, it's not uncommon to offer longer warranty lengths on items like seat belts and emission items.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I too had an issue with my seat belt and asked my local dealer if there was a recall and they said no and that there was no technical service bulliten on that car either. I'll say this though, it's not uncommon to offer longer warranty lengths on items like seat belts and emission items.
thats weird, i took my car in last october and got mine replaced completely free of charge.

Edit: only the buckles were recalled, not the belts themselves. alldata shows a tsb for them as well, maybe your dealer is just lying to you or something.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I convinced the dealer to check his computer (although he insisted there was no recall available) and sure enough I got both front buckles replaced free of charge. They were amazed that a 1991 car is still on the road - almost making fun of me, then they what good condition it's in. I was going to tell the service guy to cool his sarcastic remarks, and then I though - ya, I may drive a big POS in your eyes, but I probably make triple your salary and I love my old car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've gotten that myself a few times, untill they actually see the car and go "O"...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
it would be covered under safty if u still have any warranty on it and they can look it up by the VIN. if not, just replace it, u dont want it to fail when u really need it

·
Registered
415 Posts
How about the belt return mechanism that rolls the belt up when not in use. Is there a replacement either by dealer or aftermarmet?
I'm wondering about that aswell, both left and right front seats have defective return mechanisms... gotta help them back, retarded really...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if the return mechanism would be warrantied. It is a safety item, but, as long as the inertia reel holds the belt when you brake hard (or hit something) the belt is working. If you get yours covered, let me know. Mine is very tired as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Okay, it holds just fine, just wont return..

Heard somewhere that if you clean the belt it might improve, but i dont know...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts