Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver's side seat on my car is messing up--the position adjustment stuff. It also seems like the seat is leaning a bit to the right (towards the passenger side). My 1990 MX6 GT was similar.

I was wondering if anyone knew of where to buy some cool looking seats, or whatever--or maybe even find out how I can fix mine. My interior is blue and grey (blue seats and cloth trim, with greyish dash and paneling). What color(s) would look good with that? I'm thinking of painting some of the trim like some others did in the Converted Dash trim thread, but I'm not very creative, nor color cordinated.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Man I have that same problem. I took my seat out just to see whats wrong with it, and seams like it broke of the railing. Cheap ass seats, oh well its one more thing to upgrade. I plan on getting some red Corbeau or Sparco racing seats, possibly adjustable. Id go with some black or blue seats for your car. You can buy some Corbeaus at http://www.modernperformance.com/all/corbeau/corbeau.htm ,NOPI should have other brands too. Just look around prices vary from $200 to $500 a seat, just depends on your budget. Later.

[Edited by Importheadmp89 on 02-23-2001 at 02:16 AM]

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
On mine one side of the height adjustment broke so if I try to make it go up just one side goes up and the seat is then leaning sideways. Also sometimes I feel like I'm not pointing completely straight ahead, as if one side is kinda offset just slightly frontwards or backwards.
It's too bad that that stuff has happened because I really like the stock seats. They are very comfortable and have excellent manual (not power thankfully) adjustability. For some wierd reason my 626 seats still work perfectly though @ 208k. I think it might have to do with how heavy you are. I'm not very big at all but everything broke from my dad driving the car. I guess maybe the seats were designed for little Japanese people. Oh well I've got my 626 seat bases I can transfer over to my MX6.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, ...you're saying I'm fat? lol

I think it is just a design flaw, cause the woman that I bought it from was the 2nd owner since 1994, and she's like a toothpick, probably about 110lbs.

I really like the factory seats also, that is why I'm thinking of trying to fix mine.

ps. I do weigh about 205lbs or so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
this is a very common problem with the GT/LX seats with the hight adjustment. Mine broke in the same way. A weld came undone on the seat bracket(I think that's what you call it...). I went to Pick n' Pull, the local salvage yard to get a replacement bracket, and found a 626 with the hight adjustment. However, when I installed it into my mx6, I found that the seat was about 2 inches higher than before! I guess the 626 has more headroom, so the seat sits higher. After about a few weeks of driving around with my head sticking through the moonroof, I got back to the salvage yard and only saw a mx6 DX. No hight adjustment, so I moved on. I noticed that probe GTs have the same seat brackets, so I looked through almost 10 of them, and ALL of the ones with the hight adjustment were broken in the exact same place as my original seat. Hmmm.....
Eventually, I got the MX6 DX bracket, used my supportive LX seat cusions, and everything fit.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
That's funny. I looked at a GT once that had a broken seat height adjustment, but my old '89 lx never had that problem and my 626 is fine as well. It's true, in the 626 you sit a little higher too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, same thing with the broken weld. I had my father weld it back together but even that broke after a year.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I can see why the 626 seats sit higher - the 626 is a bit taller than the MX6. I'm thinking if I put the 626 seat bases or the complete seats in my MX6, and keep them on the lowest hieght setting, then it will be the same as the MX6 seats on the higher hieght setting and everything will be fine, because I'm short. I wish the fabric on the 626 seats was exactly the same as my MX6. I think the 626 seats might even be more comfortable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Anti-SUV

Hey, Anti-SUV. If you want, you can use the comfortable 626 seat cusions with the MX6 seat-base. This will keep the stock seat hight. The bases/brackets, or whatever they're called, are compatable. Just swap out the cusions.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The problem with that is that my MX6 drivers seat has those problems I mentioned above, so I was actually planning on swapping out the bases. But I'm not sure if I wanna sit higher. I've gotta think about it. Thanks though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts