Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, ive removed one from the fender about a month ago. and loved the cut in treble in my exhaust. but after reading my manual a little closer ive found that there is actually second resonator box, the one under that black hose, the one i always thought was for oil dranige if any is sucked up throught the head breather...... anyway, ive taken that out today and plugged the hole in the black hose........ now the results:
1. bass improved not only in exhaust but the engine itself sounds beefier
2. idles much, MUCH, MUCH, better
3. she responds much nicer too

important, plug the darn thing good, i didn't at first and it sounded like a BOV but constant, Damn our engines can suck ;)

Note: the above results mught not be true, ive might have tought that they are improvments, its all might be in my head, but its sure seems beter:)

BTW would removing this stuff will hert my engine???

G

·
i'd double check that if i were you BF... i hate sounding like a parrot but i do remember an article in hot4's (i think) where they put a Mirage on a dyno and then proceeded to remove the resonator from the inlet pipeing.... then proceeded to vary the size of it - and they found that it was better left on there or replaced with a larger resonator - the larger the better mid range power.... i'll see if i can dig it out and scna it...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, thats something unexpected.......
well mine pulls better, rough changes disappeared and she hold gears for longer(in econ state), but yeah im intrested in that article

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, think about it. The resonance is a pulse. Tuned correctly, with the correct sized intake runners and such, the pulses will actually force a slight bit more air into the combustion chambers. Hence the use of variable intake runners in some cars. If you remove the resonator box, yeah, it'll sound cooler, but, you're gonna lose power at SOME point because you're not getting the tuned pulses into the combustion chamber.
I don't really think the difference is anything that you'll really notice except on a dyno though. My friend has a N/A Mitsubishi Eclipse, and he removed the resonator from it. It sounds pretty damned mean for a 4 banger, and he hasn't noticed a bit of a decrease in power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts