Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time again to see if anyone has seen one on the road. I haven't seen one for more than 5 years now.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I think we're in the two of the most populated cities (at least states) in the US...
I also haven't seen any (in Houston) for probably 7 years now, except my garage queen. :rolleyes: IMO this car is too old and getting parts for it is next to impossible and expensive, so to me driving it around is really becoming a luxury. that being said, I will get my car into reliable shape and will be driving it more in the near future. (Well, if I'm honest with myself it probably won't be that "near".)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Time again to see if anyone has seen one on the road. I haven't seen one for more than 5 years now.
I haven’t seen one in at least 8 years anywhere within 1000 miles from me (South Carolina) . There must be a few around besides my ‘93 MX-6.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have not seen any in a long time. I get a lot of looks when I drive down the road. Its fun to go the the store. I always see someone checking the car out. Last time I was walking back to it and someone was just staring at it, then told me man your car is beautiful. I kind of like having the only one. That is what I didn't like about my cx-5. So many of them around here, and cars like it.
Bought my mx-6 as a work car to keep my cx-5 in the garage most of the time. But ended up liking the mx-6 more, and then sold the cx-5 so the mx-6 can be in the garage. So now I am back down to one car. The mx-6 has been a daily driver for two years. I really do not have any desire to buy anything new.
The only bad thing about the car is the parts availably that will only get worse. So now its a decision of what to stock up on for future use. I drove a 90 626 for 25years and 400,000 miles so I kind of know of things I might need.
Suspension parts are good to have. Don't know when these might become unavailable. Wear parts would be control arm bushings and ball joint, struts and mounts. Never had to replace my tie rods.
I had to replace my power steering pump, not really concerned about that availability.
went through the manual trans shifter bushings a couple of times.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
Mine is off the road in Australia. I rarely see any in Australia.
Some jerk hit my MX6 while it was parked outside of my house (some thing I never do but had to due to work being done on the streets driveway) Long story short it is now being worked on.
There used to be one a few streets away from me come to think of it I have not seen it in a while.

It's pretty depressive as its almost impossible to find parts or even aftermarket stuff anymore. I have another much older car that I can still get parts and after market parts for but the MX6 is like a long forgotten and neglected car in Australia it seems. A good friend of mine used to have the 1st gen MX6 but sold it maybe 10 or so years ago. (God its been a long time)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was driving to work in downtown Baltimore a couple of years ago and was stopped at a traffic light. A police car pulled up alongside me on the passenger side and the driver motioned me to lower my window. I figured it couldn't be too serious as his lights weren't on and he was probably going to tell me to slow down a little. Yes, I'd been going over 30 before I got to the lights.

I lowered my window and his face broke into a huge smile. "Man - I haven't seen one of these in years" he said. "I really wanted an MX-6 when they first came out but they were too expensive. How many miles are on yours?" I told him 260,00 (it's 285,000 now) and he complemented me on its condition. Then the traffic lights changed, we waved to each other and went on our separate ways.

Just last week, I took it to a local, fairly new Mazda dealer to ask about replacement door locks as both the current ones are getting worn. The agent checked and told me they're no longer available from Mazda but said he'd never seen an MX-6 and asked if he could come out and take a look at mine. When I told him it has a KL-ZE another agent who'd been listening to our conversation wanted to see it as well! Turns out it was fortunate Mazda no longer has locks as I found a new driver and passenger lock on eBay for $41 total - a lot less than I'd have paid Mazda.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
Yeah its a real shame that the parts for these cars are gone forever now.
I can't even get any seals for my front windscreen and rear window anymore.

It's great to hear your MX-6 is getting a lot of attention though. It must be really nice.
I don't get that much attention for my car but my mothers older car gets so much attention its crazy. I also have people following her home, leaving notes on her windscreen shooting all sorts of offers and sums of money.

My MX-6 is in need of a ton of work but given the lack of parts around i'm not very optimistic. Funnily enough I am in need of a drivers side lock and striker. The best and only local place I can find is going to set me back $159 and that's from a wrecker/junkyard.

I wanted to put in a KL/ZE when I first bought the car (around the time I joined) but put it off thinking I had time and then life and circumstances got in the way and I never got around to it. It's near impossible to find these days.

Any chance of seeing some pics of your car. It sounds pretty neat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 95 MX-6 is looking somewhat dull these days and I'm pondering whether it's worth the cost of a respray. I had the sunroof replaced a few years ago after it developed extensive rust and I was told I got the last one in North America. It looked great when I got it back from the dealer but they didn't do a good job with the clearcoat and it has slowly faded since then such that it no longer matches the rest of the still shiny roof.

There's also rust forming at the bases of the doors and the lower edge of the trunk. Do I invest in repairs or let it slowly decay? If spares were readily available then I could easily justify the cost as it's still powerful and really fun to drive, but I fear investing in the bodywork, only to have it undriveable when something important fails that cannot be repaired.

Tell you what - if I spend the money to bring it back to its original glory then I'll make photos available.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
My 95 MX-6 is looking somewhat dull these days and I'm pondering whether it's worth the cost of a respray. I had the sunroof replaced a few years ago after it developed extensive rust and I was told I got the last one in North America. It looked great when I got it back from the dealer but they didn't do a good job with the clearcoat and it has slowly faded since then such that it no longer matches the rest of the still shiny roof.

There's also rust forming at the bases of the doors and the lower edge of the trunk. Do I invest in repairs or let it slowly decay? If spares were readily available then I could easily justify the cost as it's still powerful and really fun to drive, but I fear investing in the bodywork, only to have it undriveable when something important fails that cannot be repaired.

Tell you what - if I spend the money to bring it back to its original glory then I'll make photos available.
As someone who is in the process of bringing back my car from the brink I say do it but at the same time I share your concerns. The parts are near impossible to find these days and with so many being discontinued it does make it very hard. It's demoralizing too when you take it to a bodyshop and they're like hmm are you sure you want to spend money on this. I still look at my MX-6 the same way as when I first bought it many years ago but others just see a car that is from a forgotten era that represented no style or value, added to the fact that it is a front wheel drive...
Both the Ford probe and the MX-6 still look great to this day in my opinion, in fact often at time better than many of the car styles of today.
If I were filthy rich I'd probably buy another MX-6 to be honest.

My clearcoat was shot too so I know where you are coming from. It really kills your motivation to look at a peeling mess of a clearcoat and car but if you still enjoy your car I say go for it particularly if you get a reasonable quote and it doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
Looks real neat!
Did the MX-6 come with the pinstripe stock there or did you add it yourself?

It's wild seeing pics here of members cars here again. I remember when this place was bustling with people.
Thanks for pic. Any plans for it going forward?
100% would love to clear up your headlights, front corner indicators and fog lights.
Your seals and windows look to be in amazing condition too!
My windscreen and rear window seals are gone and finding some new ones are impossible. Damn Australian sun roasted mine like freshly cooked strips of bacon. :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is the pride of the fleet. Pinstripping I added. Recently got some new fog lights. Repainted it about 2 years ago by renting a paint booth and using PPG matching paint. One of the best ideas I have had, only cost $ 100 total for the paint and paint booth rental. Here is a pic of the Ferrari emblem. There is another on the trunk. Since it is the only 1 on the road, people have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
It is the pride of the fleet. Pinstripping I added. Recently got some new fog lights. Repainted it about 2 years ago by renting a paint booth and using PPG matching paint. One of the best ideas I have had, only cost $ 100 total for the paint and paint booth rental. Here is a pic of the Ferrari emblem. There is another on the trunk. Since it is the only 1 on the road, people have no idea what it is. View attachment 13613
Hahaha Brilliant! LOL
I've recently been able to put a set of fog lights back on my car after so many years. I had to buy so many sets before I could get a full set. For some reason or another each had some sort of defect on them. Our fog lights are quite different in Australia as well as our front bumpers but I really like the way the flog lights are form fitting in the US model. In Australia, Japan and I believe Europe the fog lights have an aluminium frame around it making them quite larger.

That's pretty awesome that you were able to respray it yourself. I wish I had that kind access to stuff in Australia. I don't even know if such a thing is doable in Australia.

·
Registered
1991 MX6 LX
14 Posts
I daily drive mine, but I have never seen another on the road (midwest US). Some people don't notice but I definitely get some interested looks from people who know cars.

Reactions: Jaded

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
That's awesome!
A close friend of mine used to have a first gen MX-6 in white. Definitely a neat car. Some good memories cruising around in that car. Much to my disappointment he finally let that car go but he had it for more than 12 years as a daily driver but it was always well looked after and drove well.

I actually miss it myself. I hope it went to a good home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont think I've ever seen a 2g mx6 in aus. I know I've seen an 88 telstar tx5 in my garage though!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all, it's been a few years since I've been here. Good to be back! I have enjoyed reading this post since its good to see some other owners out there still! Our numbers are shrinking though, ,eh?

Well, here is mine. 93 LS 2.5L, manual tranny. I'm the original owner and nowadays only put <1000 miles on it per year. Store it all winter. I still love this car since the first time I drove it off the lot in June 1993. I've considered selling it, but I'm just not there yet. About 133,500 miles on the ODO. Pretty much all stock, just replaced the typical wear items over these numerous years.

I'm in the "Midwest" also, Northeast Ohio, so if anyone is near me, give me a shout-out!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts