Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all, it's been a few years since I've been here. Good to be back! I have enjoyed reading this post since its good to see some other owners out there still! Our numbers are shrinking though, ,eh?

Well, here is mine. 93 LS 2.5L, manual tranny. I'm the original owner and nowadays only put <1000 miles on it per year. Store it all winter. I still love this car since the first time I drove it off the lot in June 1993. I've considered selling it, but I'm just not there yet. About 133,500 miles on the ODO. Pretty much all stock, just replaced the typical wear items over these numerous years.

I'm in the "Midwest" also, Northeast Ohio, so if anyone is near me, give me a shout-out!

Looks clean man!

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
80 Posts
Hi all, it's been a few years since I've been here. Good to be back! I have enjoyed reading this post since its good to see some other owners out there still! Our numbers are shrinking though, ,eh?

Well, here is mine. 93 LS 2.5L, manual tranny. I'm the original owner and nowadays only put <1000 miles on it per year. Store it all winter. I still love this car since the first time I drove it off the lot in June 1993. I've considered selling it, but I'm just not there yet. About 133,500 miles on the ODO. Pretty much all stock, just replaced the typical wear items over these numerous years.

I'm in the "Midwest" also, Northeast Ohio, so if anyone is near me, give me a shout-out!

WOW! That's a fantastic car you have there. I would definitely hold onto that car if I had it.
You've really looked after it well. I don't recall the last time I had seen a cleaner MX-6 before.
Good stuff man!

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
80 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Jaded! I appreciate your positive comments. It is a struggle at times to keep looking after the old girl. But I'm glad I still have her, and she's still a thrill to drive. My wife thinks I'm crazy to still have it, but I always remind her that she was the one that somewhat talked me into buying it back in 93 when I first started looking around for a new car. I was dead set on the 93 Probe GT. But when I went to the Ford dealership, the sales associate was kind of a dolt, and was not very amicable. During the test drive he kept telling me the car was too small for me and that I couldn't fit inside. I'm pretty sure he was the guy having the problem fitting in the car. He was about 5" 6 inches and went about 280 lbs. LOL. You should have seen him roll in and out of the car. Anyway, I went to the Mazda dealership, the sales lady let me take the car for a test drive all by myself! And the rest is history,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice!! I can't imagine there are a whole lot of first gens around that looks this well particularly without some sort of respray. Have you ever had it machine polished? I love the sunroof on the first gen, Perfect in the summer and the winter.
Thank you.
I spent about 3 days hand polishing before taking theses pictures. We've never machined polished. Afraid to go through the paint.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
80 Posts
Thank you.
I spent about 3 days hand polishing before taking theses pictures. We've never machined polished. Afraid to go through the paint.
It looks pretty good. I remember spending so long until the sun didn't shine polishing my car by hand with my brother and then running out of time to wax it for that night which sucked.
Machine buffing can be great as long as its done right. I feel like the risk of damage is much lower when using a dual action buffer as opposed to just a straight out single speed buffer which if not handled correctly can burn through your paint which is probably where the fear comes from. There are different level of cutting pads and products you can use to further minimize the damage.
It'd probably take it to a pro and have it done and then get it ceramic coated. It's probably one of the best ways to preserve it and should make maintaining it a snap. You're doing a really great job though. I'm still surprised how well it looks.

If you can I would also get some trim dye (the brands escape me now) but that would definitely work well if you can paint it on the tail lights surrounds to get that black to pop again. Avoid those products like mothers back to black though because they don't last and don't actually address the issue.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
80 Posts
Thanks Jaded! I appreciate your positive comments. It is a struggle at times to keep looking after the old girl. But I'm glad I still have her, and she's still a thrill to drive. My wife thinks I'm crazy to still have it, but I always remind her that she was the one that somewhat talked me into buying it back in 93 when I first started looking around for a new car. I was dead set on the 93 Probe GT. But when I went to the Ford dealership, the sales associate was kind of a dolt, and was not very amicable. During the test drive he kept telling me the car was too small for me and that I couldn't fit inside. I'm pretty sure he was the guy having the problem fitting in the car. He was about 5" 6 inches and went about 280 lbs. LOL. You should have seen him roll in and out of the car. Anyway, I went to the Mazda dealership, the sales lady let me take the car for a test drive all by myself! And the rest is history,
I'd bet that you have less of a struggle than the rest of us. lol
I was actually wondering if you bought it brand new off the lot? I wish I had that opportunity. By the time I got mine it was many years later and was in a bit of a state. I roughly bought my mx-6 around the same time I signed up here if not a year or too earlier maybe.
Haha, your wife sounds like quite the catch then. I can't blame you for wanting a Ford Probe GT. at one stage I wanted to have both myself but they are so much harder to find in Australia and well... the mx6 has kept me plenty busy over the years. Hahaha, gotta be the worst sales associate if he couldn't seal a deal on a sale with a guy that actually really wanted the car. Wow!! really?? I can see how you'd have been put off by that. hahaha, him and his giant head by the sounds of it. Bahaha, there you go! lol. bahahahaha I am picturing it now. LOL.
Wow! That's service! It's always nice when they give you time and opportunity to test the car. It's like a night and day difference between the Mazda dealership and Ford dealership.
I remember the probe being designed by a woman and somewhat designed for a woman but I strongly disagree and feel like many design aspects were just sensible regardless of gender. I feel like the MX-6 and Probe's style has held up over time. I've seen many cars that have came out at the same time and well after that don't look as near as good as the MX-6 and Probe.

Your story kind of reminds me of mine. I originally went out with my brother to get him a 1992 Toyota Celica but they were sold out so we compromised and I bought my choice car instead so he could drive it around to and from. We both agreed that eventually we would get a Toyota Celica also (which sadly never happened) but we both loved the MX-6 and have had it since. Things could have been so different for me right now had we found a celica that day.

The MX-6 is basically my first car and I intend to keep it for life if possible. I just hope mine holds up even half as good as yours.

I'm glad you've kept it for sure. It's great that you can still enjoy it too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've seen a few probes, but very few MX6, i havent seen a 1g probe in over a year, but i've counted 9 or 10 2g probes in the past 6 months, as for 2g MX6 i've seen about 2 or 3 in the past 6 months

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't seen a Probe or MX-6 of either generation around here where I live for years and years. The last time I saw a 2G MX-6 other than mine was in 2018 when I was down in Puerto Rico on vacation for a couple of weeks. No rust on that car, but numerous dings and dents, and the white paint had surely seen better days, LOL

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I see a black Ford Probe in the parking lot. I think it has been sitting there for 5 years or more. The MX6 and Probe look great when they are taken care of, shined up in good condition. But when they decay and go downhill, it doesn't take long for them to look like beat cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a pic of my 93 MX-6 in Virginia. I am original owner. Have about 188K miles. No major mechanical problems right now. Lots of little issues. Have problem with Airbag Diagnostics Module ... can't find that part ... so I put Antique plates on it to legally avoid State Safety Inspection. Antique plates allows permanent registration (no annual renewal), use of only rear License Plate, and no annual Safety or Emissions inspections. TMT
IMG_3788.JPG IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3792.JPG IMG_3790.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey TMT, SWEET looking ride! Good to see another original owner, and you've done an outstanding job of keeping the car in excellent shape!! Now we know roughly how old you are too, LOL (and I'm dating myself also!). So it sounds like Virginia and Ohio laws are similar. I did the same thing with my car with the historical plate and never needing to pay for registration ever again. How often do you drive yours? Technically I'm not supposed to drive mine unless I'm going to events featuring old cars, or "taking it for a test drive" Stuff like that. But I live in a small town, and the po-po haven't pulled me over (yet) to question me about my destination. I really don't think they care, and heck, they might not even know the law. Haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 'Silver Bullet' sat in my yard under a tree for at least 15 years (returned from overseas and just did not drive it again). Dragged it out about six weeks ago. Took about $1,200 in parts to get it roadworthy (rubber, fluids, tune, master cylinder, fuel lines, filters, starter, struts, etc.). But then turned the key on and it started. No rust. She is fast, nimble and holds cornering beautifully. Interesting side-story ... called Mazda Headquarters looking for documentation on the VIN being an OEM 1 license plate rather than 2 license plate manufactured car and was told the car had been recalled a couple of years ago! It had been recalled when it was 25 years old because of an ignition-key problem ... and Mazda could not find me to tell me so. Mazda found parts and repaired at no cost. Now I need to deal with a whole bunch of minor issues. I think I'll need to find a 93 MX-6 Donor car for parts ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL, funny stuff, I have the same recall notice paperwork, and plan to call the Mazda dealership to schedule the recall service. It has something to do with the grease inside the ignition switch getting old (really, old? haha) and possibly being a fire hazard. I've been putting this off for a couple of years because I'm seriously nervous about letting some complete stranger touch my car. I'm afraid the service tech will break something. Something I can't replace. Do you, (or anyone else) have details on how difficult the recall fix it? It might help me to relax my mind. Nice steering column pieces are likely hard to locate in the event something breaks, or some screw threads get stripped-out, etc.
But, you gotta hand it to Mazda. Doing recall work on a 25+ year old car is respectable (and probably the law?)
Has anyone heard of any MX-6 catching on fire due to this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, I had the same reluctance about the Dealer doing damages ... so, I read the repair procedure and found that the dash did not need to be touched. All that was needed was to remove the clamshell cover to the steering column. I removed the steering column cover (top and bottom) myself. It has 4 screws (one is not easy to see), three black and one brass. The removal of the clamshell is easier with the steering wheel up/down lock-lever disengaged. Told the dealer the situation and said he was not to touch anything but the steering column key-switch assembly. Gave him photos showing no damages and said any damages would be his fault. I would reassemble the clamshell-cover. The actual repair took about ten-minutes. So, in summary, the repair is really simple. And my removal and reinstall of the steering clamshell cover was easy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Unbelievable so many wonderful cars popping up. I got that recall notice too, but I never received a follow up letter which was supposed to come after that. The ignition switch on mine now lets me take out the key when the car is running.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts