Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you run the VIN against 'recalls' it will give you all that is needed. Only certain VIN's were recalled ... not the entire 93 product line. And the dealer got the parts needed in three days. I think there is little risk of the dealer damaging the car as long as you take the clamshell off yourself. Lower the shift-column lock-lever and look for the four 'recesses' for the screws. Once the clamshell cover is removed, the repair itself takes 10 minutes. It's actually not the ignition switch that is replaced, but a minor electronic part. And, if you already have the clamshell off, replacing the entire ignition switch can be easily done (as long as you can find one beforehand).

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
Hmm, I have not heard of anything like this in Australia which doesn't surprise me to be absolutely honest. I don't know if anyone would contact me or if they would bother. It's nice to see Mazda US take some pride in their past and show respect to older cars. I kinda feel like nobody gives a frogs fat ass around here and they just want old cars off the road.

I have seen new ignition switches by an aftermarket manufacturer available in Australia and may pick one up just in case. I've taken apart the "clamshell" on mine before in fact I replaced mine because the clown that owned the car before me cut mine up to what I can only imagine was a sorry attempt to put on an aftermarket steering wheel. This was many years ago. Back then there was a place called Mazbits and I could just catch a train and walk a few blocks there or go with some friends there (my good friend used to own a 1st gen) and grab some parts. Ironically the last time I went there was to pick up that part and a few others. I also replaced the little globe that was near the ignition. The previous owner removed it but it turns out he did so because it always stayed on. I'm not sure if I fixed that problem but its something I will revisit when I get my car back.

@TMT I wonder if the air bag modules from Australia or UK are the same and would work also... I mean I don't see why not?! You might be able to twist someones arm on ebay to send you one if you pay for the shipping.
Where is the air bag module found, is it in the dash somewhere?

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
I gotta figure mine is within that group considering its a 1992 Australian model but given it's from a different country and we may have variances in parts and builds it may not be an issue here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
<<Where is the air bag module found, is it in the dash somewhere?>>
On the USA 93 MX-6 LS V-6, the Airbag Diagnostic Module is found on the left-side, under the dash, between the steering-column and the left-inside wall of the cockpit. Very hard to access. Blue in color, about 1" x 5" x 4" (two cigarette packs?) wedged in with two other electronic packets. In my case it is a "Code 52" fault (faulty back-up-power-supply). One of the headaches is the inability to turn off the flashing light showing the Code 52 Error. If you manage to disconnect the light (remove the bulb or the module), it activates a beep. I've not found a way to silence the beep. It's less an irritation to exist with the flashing light than the beep. Now, having that "Code 52" Error, one cannot legally register/operate the car (if it has 'regular' license plates) because it cannot pass the mandated 'safety' inspection. So if one wants to drive the car, the only option is to register the car as "Antique." "Antique" cars can be 'self-certified' as being being safe to drive ...
As an unrelated comment .. I have a full-set of the OEM Factory Shop Manuals (Cost me maybe US$150 25 years ago). Very detailed paper manuals with all wire diagrams. Probably 10 inches thick They have been useful ... but one still needs to have a basic grasp of auto-repair skills to read the manuals.
TMT

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I had a airbag code 13. If I remember that is for a electrical short. I searched for the short, could not find it. To get rid of the beep and the flashing light, I removed the blue box and the light bulb. No airbag system but that is fine. This is a way to pass inspection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Virginia requires the Annual Inspection to verify the 'lighted' operation of the "Idiot Lights" when the key is 'on' and that the lights to 'go-dark' when the car is started. So, in my case (Virginia), I cannot 'pass' inspection if I have 'regular' (rather than 'antique' license plates. Actually, now that I have the Black-with-White-Letters Antique Plates, I kinda like the unusual plates .. and, the plates are forever ... not needing annual renewals or emissions or safety. I am going to take the same approach with my 1987 Jeep and my 2000 Denali (when it qualifies as 'Antique') in 3 years.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That is, or would be a surprise. I don't even think air bags are a required safety feature, unlike seat belts. So it no air bag light comes on, and no beeping, I don't see how an inspector could say you have to have an air bag light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, it is not having an airbag light that is the issue. The point we need to face here is that, in Virginia, all vehicles with REGULAR registrations must have all OEM safety features operational to pass the Annual Safety Inspection. The 93 MX-6 had/has an OEM Driver airbag with the Idiot Light signifying that the airbag was operational. The Virginia Code requires that the Airbag Idiot Light illuminate when the key is in the 'on' position ... and that it not illuminate after the car is started. That means without a 'light' when the key is on and/or with a light on when the car is running, the car fails the inspection. While one might find an inspection station that may not notice the issue (because he did not know that car was OEM Airbags), the fact remains that the car (if it had airbags as OEM) must fail inspection if those airbags no longer work. One cannot skip the requirement (such as the Virginia too-expensive-to-fix emissions exemption) for older cars. You gotta pass safety to get a regular registration. The ONLY way (in Virginia) to legally register a car originally possessing OEM airbags having airbags that do not work is to register the car as Antique and legally self-certify that the car is "safe-to-operate."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread. The last time I have seen a MX-6 was march, maybe april this year. I have never seen one before or after that. Many MX-5s though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Here is my 6 still on the streets of Dallas, TX. Its my 2nd one. My first was a black LS too but unfortunately i had to leave it in germany and that was almost 10 years ago now so im sure that car is looong gone to the crusher the last time i heard of it a buddy still over there took a pic of it sitting in a repair shops lot amd that was only a few months after i sold it. But this one i plan keeping 4 life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it a 4banger?
View attachment 13924

Here is my 6 still on the streets of Dallas, TX. Its my 2nd one. My first was a black LS too but unfortunately i had to leave it in germany and that was almost 10 years ago now so im sure that car is looong gone to the crusher the last time i heard of it a buddy still over there took a pic of it sitting in a repair shops lot amd that was only a few months after i sold it. But this one i plan keeping 4 life.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts