Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 88 gt turbo with 152k on the eng. and its in great condition. i just purchased a man. boost controller and guage and was wondering what is a safe setting to put the boost at for a stock engine but get more performance out of it ? Im not sure what the stock setting is and how much you can turn it up without hurting the engine...

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Stock is roughly 7 psi. Usually when the exhaust is upgraded to a larger one, the boost will go up a little.

It pretty hard to blow the stock engine with the stock computer. The stock computer will restrict you from doing any damage with extra boost. So to speak.
You will still have to keep the oil clean, run good fuel and not overheat the engine.

Crank the boost up to about 10 psi and see if that satisfies you. Then maybe get a Zombie chip etc, for your to run extra boost.

I have destroyed 2 stock turbo's by making them run higher boost than they like for too long. (18-20 psi on the stock turbo) They snapped there shafts.
I would say thay anything up to about 15-16 psi is safe (provided you have chipped it etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts