Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! after reading about how to setup a CAI, I went to put one on my car and here is how I set it up! Well, I took off the stock airbox and bought a 3'' Mighty Flow hose along w/ a 3'' K&N filter and some clamps. After attaching the filter to one end of the hose I took off the MAF from the stock airbox and attached the MAF to the elbow. I drilled a hole in the Mighty Flow hose for my IAT sensor which is securly attached and then I attached the hose to the MAF. Ok so heres where my setup is little different.... I went ahead and purchased a stainless steel heat shield from Ingen and put it around the filter and placed the filter and heat shield to my battery. I drilled the heat shield to the lower part of the plastic holder which holds the battery. I have the heat shield facing the motor, but I have the filter slightl facing the fan and its sitting about 6 to 8'' above the splashguard b/c I just dont want it to inhale water or get damaged from debris. I really want to know if my setup allowed my intake to suck in cold air? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
ever consider an AEM bypass valve? Consider $50 worth of insurance on your engine, and it was designed for exactly what your worried about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AEM bypass valve?? sorry u have to excuse my knowledge on engines (just learning) but what is it and if its better for my car then where can i get one cause I have a 93 four banger?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, now I understand what the bypass valve is, but how would I exactly fit it on? Does anybody have any pics of their intakes ( custom or name brand ) with this bypass valve on their intake?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am about to get an intake after a bit of hesitation, because I was worried about water ingestion. But how probable is it to really pull in water?

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you go to aem's page, it has an example of the bypass valve working on an nsx... the water only got sucked up a feet. that engine is a lot more powerful than ours so, taking that in consideration, our cars wont suck the water up too far... thats what i think about it... im planning to get the hotshot headers and cai and getting the aem bypass on the intake. it looks trustworthy enuff

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok! I'm seriously thinking about gettting the bypass valve from AEM. Question? Where does the bypass valve connect on an MX 6 intake, especially a custom CAI? Would I have to go and remake my custom intake and replace the hose for pipes? One more question, does my heat shield make any sort of difference as to blocking out heat away from my filter and sucking in colder air?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts