Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi crew,

I'm back after long time being offline and here is idea about stepping up old good F2 engine.
If you google for 'mazda 929 F2 2.2' be sure you will find links where several versions of 2.2L engine are mentioned. Basically I found that 929 has got 2.2 engines with power ranging from 115 hp (well, 110 for US) up to 136( or 8) hp, they also have distinct codes like F2E, F2C, F2-EGI etc.

Does someboby can point to differences in that engines except fuel system type (carburettor, FI) ? For a while haven't found technical information to compare them. Finally, my hope is that biggest difference is in ECU block so there is possibility LEGALLY and EASILY get some extra power.

P.S. I'm not obsessed w/ idea to screw up slo-mo F2 but if you see buck on road, you would pick it up, isn't ?

·
Banned
395 Posts
if i remember correctly the 136 hp version of the 2.2 had increased compresion ratios(i think about 9.2 if my memory serves me correctly) and the engine came equipped on some e-spec 929`s

do a search for this and u should find some info

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
anomaly said:
Yes, it was in the Norwegian Mazda 929.

It was the HC series from 87-92 (2.2i) and came with 9.8:1 CR pistons.

Part number: F2Y211ZA0
Is this part # of any use to us in the States? Would be a neat upgrade for LX'ers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not sure. I saved that part number and information the first time they came up here at mx6.com

I called one Mazda dealership and they did not recognize that part number. Not sure if it is specifically that dealership or if it is a special order item from a European dealership (?)

Also, the HP should bump up to 136. Not sure on the torque.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi all,

thanks for update, will concentrate on pistons and probably ask dealer for info. Will post here if any news come up. See you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
upping the compression ratio would also bump up the tourque. 136HP, i wouldn't be suprised to see the tourque in the 160 range.

·
Registered
959 Posts
if anyone finds a way to aquire these jewel like pistons, please let me know..also im gonna search around in the european forum.. they might have a few contacts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I concur! If anyone can get these 929 pistons, fill the rest of us in. In other words: Hook a brotha' up!

I am currently debating on rebuilding my F2 or upgrading to the FE3. But I dont want to have all the problems inherent with getting into the FE3. I figure I'll get some machine work done to the cylinder head and IM (P&P) and upgrade to these 929 pistons if available.

So, if anyone has an idea on where to get these...:D

·
Registered
854 Posts
why not just use Kia FE3 pistons. In a closed chamber head like the F2's and the extra stroke it should bump CR nice and high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts