Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi... i wanna shave my handle.... but iono how much da doors weight so how many lbs of force should i get........... please help me

thanks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
you could use just a 35 lb sloenoid if you wanted. the 50 lb ones are designed more for classic cars and everything.
The solenoid itself isnt pushing the weight of your door but the weight of the mechanism that opens the door itself. Which really doesnt take much power at all. Go with anything atleast 35 and up though so it doesnt wear out. a 15 lb solenoid could probably even do the job but i wouldnt recommend it. go with a 35 and up. Also the best way to shave door handles is to mount the solenoid on the bottom of the door horizontally and have a pulley vertically on the door handle side of the door. Weld those in to place and use stainless steel braided cable.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I don't know if you thought about this so I will let you know.If you shave your door handles you can not run at the track.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Why cant you run at the track? Many race cars have their whole door shaved to the body? Is this all tracks or just the ones youve been at? Im really curious... thanks for the heads up though i'll have to check into my local track.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just a guess, but I would think that it would be so that if you're in trouble rescuers can get you out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
coming from someone who is SHAVEN

we tryed the 15 ... 25 ... 35 .. and the 55 was the best bet .. just trust me

as for the track ... each track has its own "rules"

i have ran SCCA events and also 1/4 mile with my car shaven ... 90% of the time they DEMAND my UNDERSTANDING that if something happens a window will be broke ... I agree

winter also sucks with no door handles. I suggest getting an ALARM with at least 3 channels. 1 for normal use, 2nd for popper, and 3rd for window control.

This way if the popper locks ... you can still get in.

Also plan a way to get your hood open if your battery dies. I suggest hood pins with a pin alarm under the hood so if the alarm si armed and the hood is open ... your good to go

email me fi u need any other help

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I am sure that all tracks are this way.If you go to tech and they see the handles shaved you won't be able to run.There are safety issues.What kind I am not sure.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
what about all those tricked out muscle cars where you have to jump in through the window to get in? hmmm. i can see the argument from both sides i guess. not serious but, what about a fake door handels with magnets to keep them on.... not a sermon, just a thought.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whoops

i hate to be a spoil sport, but, shaved handles aren't allowed in scca. at all. and even if you did manage to get it on the track, the wouldn't bust your window out becuase you HAVE to have it down and your doors locked WITH a window net in place.

dave

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I would have to say you got lucky or you have a tech that doesn't care.Get an offical rule book and it clearly states shaved handles are not allowed.It doesn't matter about the organizers it is not their track even organizers have to follow rules.Like I said you got lucky or your tech doesn't care.

·
Registered
868 Posts
what do u guys mean by a shaved handel? the handel on a mx6 isnt poping out to being with? anyone able to show me a pic of a shaved and none shaved mx6 handel?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
im not arguing that ... i definatly shouldnt have been allowed

but hey ... would have been his fault if something happened

with shaving ... its considering making something smooth.

Like when you "shave a trunk on a civic" you actually add material to the trunk, nothing comes off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts