Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You can do it two ways... the right way or the wrong way. The wrong way involves using filler only, the right way involves having them welded first. Filler alone will eventually crack because it doesn't hvae a complete surface to bond to. Weld it then use a smoothing filler to finish. The same should apply to any hole on a car.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
This is true, but the holes on the emblems are so small that you can do it with just filler.

I hammered mine in though first so there is a larger area for the glassfiller to grab onto.

Or you can weld and grind, but you have to fill on top of that so either way your using filler.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
BlackBeauty said:
ok so would i have to repaint my trunk if i shaved it, or would i just be able to get touch up paint? what type of filler should i use? and, do i fill the holes in from the outside of the car, or can i get to the holes from inside the trunk?
you definatly will have to have the whole piece repainted (ie. trunk or hood). if you use touch up paint, that will look more horrible then just not filling the holes.:V

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
dj2501 said:
yes, but by welding the filler has alot to stick to and has something behind it for support. DONT USE JUST DURAGLASS if you value your paint job
yes, but thats the point of purposlly putting dents there, so that you fill the dent and it has more to grab onto. Thats how i did mine, and i value my paint. Its been over 6 months and its still good.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I wouldn't take the risk. I've seen to many cars that tried filler only and have cracked. Lead weld the hole, it's not that big and won't cost much at all.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
shaved trunks look good i have the stalk trunk shaved.. i welded all holes lock and the untenna hole, (yes thats the propper way) used some bondo and then wala.. looks great.. i also cut the middle out the of trunk.. 3" from the outside corners, looks really good i spent days on this, ( then i was going to get a carbon piece to fit in slide it through the back ( i cut a seem in to slide pice in) after its in welded it back bondo and sanded looks like new just a blue line now. so the carbon just moves around a little on left side but held on the right by the trunk suports. ok this is hard to explane. u all followin me here.. then i got some gold rivits online and drilled and pop pop the carbon fiber is held in-place and there is a stock trunk now in carbon fiber.. ( looks like tc sportline sorta but just has gold rivits on top) i think it lookes really good ill get a web page up to show some pics...
cost= bondo 20 bucks
carbon fiber pannel =300

i know your new but...
which one would you choose....

I spent days on that project above and i still ended up getting the carbon fiber trunk... :p ya its expensive but it looks really good.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hey stealth i only have a couple pics of the trunk from when i first started the project I dont have any of the finished project ... .. my digital cam is flat due to my buddys 44" superawampers on his truck, but i think i can get some new pics soon. im going to send u what i got... can u post um here? thnx man ~t-dub

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Black Beauty - For the emblem holes I just used filler, but i dented the area in. For the spoiler, and antenna i welded patches in, and for the trunk lock i used body pannell adhesive to put a patch in since its so hard to weld that.

Porkitch, yes ill post them for you, send them to [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I did 2 years of body work and have had 3 cars painted in my ownership, all with custom body mods done....I can tell you this...DONT FILL THE HOLES! Weld them or don't do it. Filler is just what its name implies, a filler. It is used only to make something smooth, when raw welded metal can't. Using to much of it in a large space can cause it to crack in cold weather or just under regular driving.

Here's a few pictures of mine before and after to give you an idea:

^^^Notice the small pin holes in the welds...that is all filler should be used to actually "fill."

^^^Thats the key hole...or was...

^^^A little excess filler added, but that gives you room for sanding it smooth. It was almost bare metal again when done.

Theres mine...Like I said, fiberglass or fillers alone should never take the place of real metal.
Oh and you will have to repaint your trunk if you do this, its just a small price to pay though for great looks!

Reactions: Kansas
1 - 20 of 22 Posts