Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Im in this humanities class right now in where we are discussing a book called The Question of God by Armand Nicholi. The book is a comparison of ides between C.S. Lweis and Freud, who had different takes on the idea of God and existensialism.

Im about to blow a vein here....

1. How do you handle the fact that 90% of your class are 19 year olds or under, with deeply rooted christian believe, and that will make assetions out of their ass without no basis or knowledge. They just believe 'cause...which translates in my mind to "I believe because I was tought to believe"

2. How do I adress discussions with such kids and not blow up a vein or look rude? Or at least, not punish them much? (I already started takign names and pwning noobs onthat class)

3. I want to sound as neutral and unbiased as posible, but honestly, these kids have way to little facts or experience to support their statements. Im not old by any means, but I do have a lot of knowledge onthe subjects of religion (born, raised and educated catholic, or as my proffesor calls them, Blueberry revivalists:lol:), evolution and psychology?

4. How do I get in their minds? Everyone has the righ tto believe whatever they want, but they dont have the right to be uneducated at it. If your going to believe in something, believe it because you know about it, not because....because. Like CS Lewis "I believev in God, because thorugh him, I understand everything". That is some shit I can respect.

I guess I aask you, sheep, since you seem to be one of the few open minded and educated christians I know. But Im sure GC will chime in very soon.

BTW, If you havent guessed it by now...Im a Darwinist-freudian thinker. So I have very big issues with organized religions and god figures.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You need to back the kids into a corner. I had a high school professor that was very good at doing this, he would ask questions and eventually someone would realize that they were contradicting themselves. Ask them if they have rock solid proof of the existence of God. Also ask if they have rock solid proof of the baseball you're holding in your hand. The baseball is optional, and you can see where I'm going with this. Everything they say about God, you say about the baseball. If they ask you what proof you have that there's a baseball in your hand, say "Well I punched someone last week, and I'm not strong at all but they got knocked out. So there must have been a baseball in my hand."

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^lol @ the basball analogy:lol:

I liek to go about withthis one (which I figured out when talking to a HS proffesor [yes, he had a PhD); I aske dhim "Sir, where is your wife right now?" And he answered at home. I asked him how does he know, to which he replied because that's where she always is at this time of the day. Afterwards I replied "So, you have faith on her being at the house, which would mean that you know she's there because you believe that she is there, right?" He answered a hesitant yes. Afterwards I stopped for a second and said "How do you not know she's at the mall? Or at her friends? Or caught up in traffic?" He said he has now way of knowing that, that he goes by what he knows, even though he has no way of proving it. I smiled and walked away.

needless to say, I got an A on my religion class:)

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Sinclair, I'd like to meet that prof.

My simple rule: is to avoid Christians like the plague. I really do, and yes it works absolutely beautifully.
If any given religious sect wants to be SO ignorant SO SO ignorant to believe the earth is only 6,000 years old (contrary to all evidence, ALL of it) then they're a lost cause anyway, and there is nothing I can do to help at that point.

I just find all religious people asides from Buddist's & Hindu's to be extremely ignorant on a wide platform of levels.

I too have felt the intense frusteration with trying to reason with some "born again" Christians, so I just let go and remove them from my life. Its amazing how stress-free and enjoyable things become when you dont have to speak with such biased people. :)
When Christians ask me if I know God exists, I tell them
"No, and neither do you" that ends the conversation FAST. :lol:

Watch this vid. I fully support it. :D
Atheist buses denying God's existence take to streets - Telegraph

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I believe in God because I want to. I like the idea of it. Belief in a higher power is comforting to me and has helped me through some rough times. I believe my faith has made me a better person. The lifestyle isn't for everyone, but hey, that's your decision.

But anyway, nice to know that you feel so dismissive of me because of that one thing.
It's not like I'm a professional with an active career in IT that has a bachelors degree or anything. If you would prefer to lump me in with all the ******* "found jesus in a cheeto" crowd, go right ahead if it makes you feel more comfortable with yourself or helps you keep up that smug "holier than thou" (ironically) mentality. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
784 Posts
AWESOME, someone asked for my opinion. lol

I would suggest, asking them to show proof of their belief. I would never say that all christians are right. No one is 100% correct on everything dealing with God. I say if you believe something different than the other group of people Get them to calm down and reason with what you have to say. Though I dont agree with what you say, I would have enough respect to listen to what you are saying. Then I would pull out my Bible and show you what I believe. I know many people who have sat down with Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons to discuss faith. Some talked very intimately about their religion, others fail miserably because they dont do their homework on what they think they believe. Honestly, I dont have the answers to the questions I may be asked about my religion, nor would I be able to find them quickly for you. I really need to start delving into the Bible to truly understand my religion. I am confused on a few things myself. But as I have seen and heard from friends who openly admitted not being strong enough in their own faith, were sent astray trying to argue God with a bunch of Atheists.

I am sorry for the long rant but I just felt like getting it out. Also I have no problem with what any of you believe. I will never support you in your beliefs but I respect them and you will be in my prayers.

I really hope this doesnt get percieved the wrong way. Hope this helped a little

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
I believe in God because I want to. I like the idea of it. Belief in a higher power is comforting to me and has helped me through some rough times. I believe my faith has made me a better person. The lifestyle isn't for everyone, but hey, that's your decision.

But anyway, nice to know that you feel so dismissive of me because of that one thing.
It's not like I'm a professional with an active career in IT that has a bachelors degree or anything. If you would prefer to lump me in with all the ******* "found jesus in a cheeto" crowd, go right ahead if it makes you feel more comfortable with yourself or helps you keep up that smug "holier than thou" (ironically) mentality. :rolleyes:
I too believe in God, I really do. I honestly do..... what I dont believe in is all the different religious sects that spiral down from that common belief.
Its THAT that angers me to the nines.
Its mind-boggling, to roughly estimate all the lives that were lost due to the wars caused by the differenciation of religious beliefs amongst cultures over time.

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AWESOME, someone asked for my opinion. lol

I would suggest, asking them to show proof of their belief. I would never say that all christians are right. No one is 100% correct on everything dealing with God. I say if you believe something different than the other group of people Get them to calm down and reason with what you have to say. Though I dont agree with what you say, I would have enough respect to listen to what you are saying. Then I would pull out my Bible and show you what I believe. I know many people who have sat down with Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons to discuss faith. Some talked very intimately about their religion, others fail miserably because they dont do their homework on what they think they believe. Honestly, I dont have the answers to the questions I may be asked about my religion, nor would I be able to find them quickly for you. I really need to start delving into the Bible to truly understand my religion. I am confused on a few things myself. But as I have seen and heard from friends who openly admitted not being strong enough in their own faith, were sent astray trying to argue God with a bunch of Atheists.

I am sorry for the long rant but I just felt like getting it out. Also I have no problem with what any of you believe. I will never support you in your beliefs but I respect them and you will be in my prayers.

I really hope this doesnt get percieved the wrong way. Hope this helped a little
Hit the nail in the head there sir. I think that's all Im looking for from them, but I don't think they are able to do so. I enter these discussions with the mentality of "smart, equally educated" conversation. All I get are these blind believers and god-groupies that believe because people have been telling them to believe for years.

Also, I dont like it when people pull the Bible as a weapon on their discussions. The Bible is a collection of stories and morals to live by. A suggestion book, if you will. There are (probably) hundreds of versions of the same bible, all with different points of views and stories about the same person. That in itself is disproving in my opinion. See, Christianity is not like Buddhism or Muslims or other ancient religions, were everyone believes and acts the same, everyone reads the same book, and everyone is in accord of what they have to do. Christian religions sprout like weed every day, all with a different understanding of the same story. All with different understanding, traditions, and veracity. To me, that makes them look phony and unorganized. And completely untrue. Asides, the Bible was written by a lot of different people over a span of different centuries. There's not a single first person accounts on the Bible. He said she said ftl.

I dont judge if you believe in God, or if you are christian. Trust me, to this day, my parents are trying to "save me":lol: And I can completely understand where Trent is comming from. He chooses to believe, because in believing his life has a meaning. He uses his spirituality as a means of reconciliation with himself and the world it surrounds him (hopefully Im right Trent). You guys are not shooting blanks when it comes to you spirituality.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I see where you're coming from, but I would like to mention that Christianity isn't alone in sectarianism. Islam has its own fair share of differences between sects, many that have devolved into brutal violence.

But I will agree that Christianity has taken that concept to a whole new level. lol.

Actually, the fact that the Bible WAS written over centuries by so many people makes it rather interesting. There is still an awful lot of harmony in the Bible, even despite the gap in time.

The prophecy of the march of nations as depicted in Daniel is an interesting read.

Also, Jesus totally called it on there being different flavors of Christianity when he warned them to look out for false Messiahs.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I agree with trent there about false messiahs. So true.

Well I mean of course there are going to be people that want to start their own religion. I mean, the people that founded this very country left their home, where they grew up and called home for so many years, left as traitors because of the fact the people in the state were trying to control how and what they believed. I cant say that everyone is right, not even CLOSE but I will say that i believe the Bible was created by God as a tool for us all to use. And yes, I think that everything in the Bible has a different meaning and you can take something different from it every time you read it. If the Bible was just a book full of stories, we would all know it and not care anymore. Thats my point of view anyway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts