Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, yesterday i had to have my poor mazda towed home. something on the passenger side is shaking horribly at about 30mph. i took the wheel off and i cant see anything wrong, nothing at all. the steering wheel also turns back and forth slightly with the shaking. it only does it when i step on the gas as well. you guys got any clue to what this could be? i thought maybe a wheel bearing or tie rod, but i cant see or do anything with the wheel off to make the sound or shaking.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be the passenger side wheel bearing. BTW, it was a BITCH to get out (had to get the bearing pressed into the hub at the dealer, as well as drill out rusted lower control arm bolt and re-thread) so if you're not good with tools, let a shop do it. The thing that is different about my situation is that I could still drive my car when mine shook, but it just kind of made a bad rubbing noise that got worse when I took right turns.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the problem went away, was it a fluke? or just something that is going to break some other time. i guess i will have to wait and find out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what did that wheel bearing feel like going down the road? can you feel it in the pedal? did your wheel move up and down if you shook it?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Honestly, I don't remember feeling it in the pedal. It was felt more so by the passengers riding in my car, pulsating on the passenger side floor. I just remember HEARING it more than anything... it sounded like something was rubbing on the passenger side, and the noise got worse when I took corners. I remember trying everything to make this go away (got cv's inspected, alignment, new brake rotors) and finally got it to stop w/ the wheel bearing. I have heard this problem is very common, and it's most likely one of your wheel bearings, but I suppose it could possibly be your brake rotors are warped, if you're feeling it when braking.

My advice would be to replace your passenger side brake rotor (they aren't expensive at all), and see if that helps. If the problem is still there, it's probably the wheel bearing.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Oh yeah, smachan, I was going to ask where you got the 2nd gen PGT wheels for your 1st gen mx6, and how much you paid for them? They really look killer on your car.

Oh, and is that maroon paint job stock? I don't believe I've ever seen a maroon 1st gen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. i guess i will replace the wheel bearing in her. it cant hurt can it? i put new rotors on her about 6 months ago, and the braking feels fine. just on acceleration it has the problem. and it sounds like something is rubbing. the strange thing about it is that it is intermitant.

thanks,
i got the wheels off of my friends probe for 300 with tires. and the paint is stock, they did a damn nice job painting it too, shines like you wouldnt belive, but i suppose washing it 3 times a weeks doesnt hurt.
if you wanted to get a set of them i think the junk yard here has a set of them, they told me $350 for the set. when i was looking for a set.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yeah, replacing that bearing definitely won't hurt... like I said, it's a really common problem with our generation 6's. It is strange how it is intermittant, though... I remember mine being just constant....but as long as you don't see anything rubbing down there, I would say the wheel bearing is a good bet.

$300? Wow, that's cheap! I paid $600 for my new 15" Koenigs with tires.... I shoulda just found some of those 16's from the probe for half the price!

The paint does hold up pretty well on our cars... mine is a silver '91 and it still looks pretty nice after all of the hard Wisconsin winters it's been through.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i found out the problem this weekend. it turns out it is a cv joint. the weird thing about it is that i just put new ones in. is that a little strange? i havent had time to look at it yet, but i think the boot is loose or cracked and the grease came out and dried the linkage up inside. i would have never even thought it would have been that, so weird, must have just bought a bad one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts