Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just baught a new air fuel ratio gauge and a proform adjustable shift light. Im not sure how to hook either of them up yet... and im wondering if anyone could give me some help. I know some of you have done your own monster tacks and air fuel ratio gauge so Help me out.

All i need help on is where to hook the signal wire for the shift light(green wire) to? and then where do i hook the signal wire to the airfuel ratio gauge to on the o2 sensor?.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
RicedoutMx6 said:
Hey guys, i just baught a new air fuel ratio gauge and a proform adjustable shift light. Im not sure how to hook either of them up yet... and im wondering if anyone could give me some help. I know some of you have done your own monster tacks and air fuel ratio gauge so Help me out.

All i need help on is where to hook the signal wire for the shift light(green wire) to? and then where do i hook the signal wire to the airfuel ratio gauge to on the o2 sensor?.

Thanks.
ok, please double check this but i rememebr the o2 wire being the 2nd from the right, on the center plug (bottom row) on the ECU.

for the shift light, i just ran a wire directly to the disty's tach output - this will vary depending on obdI/obdII

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you set the light to the rpm that you want it to light up at. so if you set the light to 7,000..its not going to light up unless you get up to 7,000. its kinda cool, you can rev your car when your in nuetral and it will light up. it has nothing to do with how fast your going or when you should shift. It simply tells you when to shift by using the rpm range YOU selected for it. You can set it as low as 1000 or as high as 10,000.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
old vw's (80's) had built in shift lights on their gauges, they SUCKED or atleast they do now that their old. I would get a shift light if they didn't look so funny and cost so damn much, ill just need to find a way to build it in somewhere....and steal it.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alrighty then. I got the shift light hooked up. I hooked the signal wire up to the back of the gauge cluster. If anyone else needs help with this, Take your dash apart, Take out the gauge cluster, And then remove the 3 plugs from the cluster, Then on the middle plug, You will need to wire into the only all dark green wire. Its as simple as that.

As for the air/fuel ratio..i still havent gotten that to work yet...im thinking my sensors are junk, i hooked the gauge direct to the ECU and i get nothing.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
RicedoutMx6 said:
Alrighty then. I got the shift light hooked up. I hooked the signal wire up to the back of the gauge cluster. If anyone else needs help with this, Take your dash apart, Take out the gauge cluster, And then remove the 3 plugs from the cluster, Then on the middle plug, You will need to wire into the only all dark green wire. Its as simple as that.

As for the air/fuel ratio..i still havent gotten that to work yet...im thinking my sensors are junk, i hooked the gauge direct to the ECU and i get nothing.
i wouldnt hook the shift light up there. the signal is pretty degradedby the time it hits the gauges,also the gauges werent meant to carry the added drop of a secondary or auxiliary signal... go straiht off the distributor for an accurate signal.

anyways shiftlights (for those asking) are useful only for racing.. i know i no longer know where my redline is from sound alone, since i am hearing so many other things at the same time.

i have mine hidden inside the center AC vent.

1st and 2nd gear redline very quick, and its also useful to see when youve lost traction (again, sound and feel alone arent enough as when racing i am always letting the tires spin a little, but it can get away from you easily with a turbo car, and the tires spin fast enough where they sound like pencil erasers, not squealing lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
RicedoutMx6 said:
Don't go by wire color since the wire colors changed from year to year. Also, these directions only apply to OBD-I ('93-'95 cars). I have no idea of the pinout for OBD-II ('96-'97) cars.

In order to hook it up, you will need a switched power tap (red wire) like the one from the radio. A ground (black wire) to any grounded point (some nut). And the sense wire (the purple wire) should go to a tap/splice into one of the 2 O2 sensor inputs at the ECU. Do not use a non-switched power supply like the ligher socket. You will drain your battery since the A:F meter will never shut off.

If you look at the ECU harnesses (all located behind the center console), then look at the middle harness (if you have an OBD-I car; '93-'95). The wires you will need to tap into for the sense wire will be either the top or bottom 2nd to the right wire on the center harness. The top wire is the front O2 sensor, the bottom wire is the rear O2 sensor.

If you look at the center harness (16 wires) choose wires 7 or 15 to splice the purple A:F sense wire into.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

BOTTOM

Here's the link to the ECU pinout guide on PT that I posted up a while back:

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1701065429

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i wouldnt hook the shift light up there. the signal is pretty degradedby the time it hits the gauges,also the gauges werent meant to carry the added drop of a secondary or auxiliary signal... go straiht off the distributor for an accurate signal.
Where in the distributer? i get what you mean..my shift light blinks now and then at idle...and im wondering why and thats probaly why. So where do i want to tap into the disty?.....

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it working, since no one helped me in full detail.. ill help others. On the 94 mx6 i hooked the signal wire for the shift light to the green wire on the distributer. you need to remove some of the wire casing to access the wire. Then i contacted the people that made the shift light i had and they said i needed a zener diode to stop it from blinking. Theyre about 1$ at radioshack and they come with 2. you need both. As for the air fuel ratio its the yellow and green wire on the middle plug.
It all works great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts