Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a site bookmarked that someone posted on here with shop manual scans, but that isn't available any longer.

don't wanna go in depth, but here's what's happening: as some of you may know, i put a used (but very good shape) trans. in less than a year ago. i did this b/c my car would no longer shift into reverse, and 3rd was gettin a little tough half the time.

worked beautifully until maybe a month ago. reverse syndrome is back...as gentle as i have been on this car, i have no idea why. it just doesn't wanna go the whole way in! the reverse lights come on, but no engagement. this happens like half the time.

now, the case was opened when i installed it, and everything was beautiful inside, shift gate nice and secure :tup:

is there ANY possible way that this can be caused by the shifter assembly itself?? linkage has all new bushings, etc, etc. i know it may feel as if it's the shifter b/c it's all one big chain of events between my hand and the trans., but it really does feel like it's stickin right where the shifter is.

if i didn't explain this well enough, let me know. but basically...is there anything that can break or wear in this area that would cause this? it cant be the tranny, its pretty much new... anyone got a scan of this so i can try and tear into it (with tools...not literally) im not real sure whats down there b/c i have never taken one apart.

any advice? any diagrams?

thanks in advance...(and sorry for the length)

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
My scans are down as I am no longer a student so the university axed my account. Sorry. Maybe now is the time to buy yourself a Mazda Factory Workshop Manual.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If no on scans it before tonight, I'll do it when I get home from school.
Ive always had a problem occasionally going into reverse, since I bought the car with 54k so i wouldnt think there would be tranny issues that early? I also Had the same problem with my mazda truck.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
it's than likely your shift gate. the shift linkage is one long rod that goes from your shifter to the transmission. does it feel muddy and bound up? mine did, and i was thinking it was the shifter itself...but it was internal. click on the service information link in my sig....you can download the 1989 mazda service information manual.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i downloaded the service manual from your sig already...doesnt have any assembly diagrams of that area. and its not the shift gate. i put the trans. in <10k miles ago and it was perfect, even loc-tited the shift gate bolts.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
if it's not your shiftgate...best thing for you to do is take out your center console, take apart your shifter in the cars interior, jack that bitch up and go over your shift rod inch by inch.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's what i am planning on doing. i was lookin for an assembly scan on this area so i could tell how it all came apart and what it's supposed to look like once i get to it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't mean to bump this, but seriously, doesn't anyone have a scan they can send me? or someone that can scan that page real quick and post/send it? inlogauge, what happened to you sending that over?

email is [email protected] if thats easier for anyone...PLEASE help, there's only a few more warm days yet here in the mts. and i wanna take a look at this.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Actually I got a fresh printout of the shift linkages from the dealer today but dont have a scanner or anything. From underneath the car check for play by the transmission and again by the shifter (underneath the heat shield). Extra slop means you need fresh cup bushings.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not to be a butthead, but i mentioned when i started the thread that i have all brand new bushings in the entire shift linkage. no play at all. stiff as a boner.

anyone got a scan pleeeeaaaase?!

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Dyoel182 said:
If there is no play in the linkage, the problem is likely internal.
Synchro key? I agree, sounds internal.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i just put this m'f'er in

im guessing that cant be done with the trans in the car

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i'm looking at some shop manual scans (thanks inlogauge) and it's got all the little parts that i never knew existed between the linkage and shift knob. after removal, it says to inspect:

1. bent control rod
2. wear, damage, malfunction of any joint
3. damaged gear shift lever ball
4. weak spring
5. wear or damage of bushing

still being hopeful here, what are the chances of any of these happening? and if so, would they cause my shifter to be sloppy and hunt for gears?

1. bent control rod would surely do it, although very unlikely that's the case.
2. wearing of a joint, maybe.
3. damaged shift lever ball? isnt it steel? unlikely...
4. weak spring - would this really cause any problems?
5. bushings - practically brand new, cross that off

the only reason i'm still wondering all of this is because with two consecutive transmissions (the new one being in pristine condition and being in the car for less than 9 months now...) it has experience the same exact symptoms. so, i hope/figure/wish/pray that it could be something with the rest of the shift assembly, and not the transmission.

i know, i know, even if something is wrong, it has already done damage to the trans. by missing gears. and i know everyone's first thought is that it's internal, but maybe, just maybe, it isn't. has anyone had any of these problems besides the bushings? what is the likeliness of any of this happening and causing major shifting problems?

i plan on really tearing the entire assembly apart this friday, so any help/direction would be appreciated. it's gonna be a complete teardown and inspection.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
here's an easy way to diagnose...if you can get your car in the air. unbolt the control arm from the transmission. stick a long screwdriver into the....gawd can't think of it now, where the control arm connects to the tranny. anyways, try and shift your transmission from there. this will tell you immediately if it's a internal or external problem (as you should be able to shift into gear).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im gonna have it on jackstands, which should work just fine. never thought of trying that though, i'll give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts