Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my shifter knob, but the boot now sits an inch or so lower than the knob. Is there any way to get it to sit directly below it without cutting the shifter down or glueing it to the base of the knob?

·
Registered
299 Posts
YOur knob should have 2 height settings, high and low. YOu may have just installed it at the high setting. On my razo, all y9ou have to do is take out the plastic sleeve and place it into the other 2 grooves in the knob..... making the knob sit a lot lower......... What brand is it?????????

Mike

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its this skull knob, one of those impulsive purchases, but I still like it. I originaly wanted just an alunimum ball, the skull was chrome and cheaper anyway.
The socket won't allow it to sit any lower, there is a little less than an inch between where the boot sits and the base of the knob.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I cant help you out much... if its not adjustable..... if you dont like the look of it see if you can return it...... And get a universal shift knob..... and spend a little more cash and you will reap the rewards..... nardi momo levoc or razo are all excellent..... I think my razo RA42 aluminum is the nicest feeling part of my car .

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
you could pull apart the console so you can put a spacer under the boot so it sits higher on the shifter.

You just need to slide something on before you slide the boot over to make it sit where you want it. This may stretch the boot kind of funny though You may just want to cut the threads down

Here is a link a DIY short shifter from probetalk. It a has a picture. http://www.probetalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1626&forum=7

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
or..

just buy a new boot...Im gonna get a nice matching momo boot to go with the momo knob i ordered... minuswell make it look REALLY good :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
HOnestly for all the money of a MOmo boot... spend it on something thats worth the money..... I made my own shift boot and it looks pretty sweet..... and it cost me 8 bucks CAD..... thats 60 or 80 bucks I can spend elsewhrere now...... and it fits like a dream just over the bottom of my Razo..... hehe... I luv it.

Mike

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
pics?

Do you have a pic?

how did you make it and with what?

thx

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too had a skull shift knob but not the chrome one...

I got a spring and put it under the boot to lift the top of the boot to rest against the bottom of the knob. This worked well, but im taking the skull off to get an alum. racing knob.

Mo

Skull Knob

·
Registered
299 Posts
I basically went to a fabric store and got some marine vinyl..... I could have done leather... but i didnt know where to find it...... and the vinyl I got looks really nice..... then I basically took out the old boot..... took off the bracket..... cut out pieces of the vinyl that were same size as original boot, tapered it at the top to be very small at the bottom of the knob...... sewed the 2 pieces together and then cut the holes so that it fit onto the bracket with an exacto knife..... it looks quite nice..... and it doesnt get all shiny and glazed looking like those crap Mazda replacement OEM ones do.

Mike

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dam Rokcrler, that thing's huge. Mines just a small chrome one about the size of one of those alunimum balls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts