Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if it was possible to switch my shifter knob out for a short one on my 93 mx6 automatic. the only ones i can find are the ones for a manual transmission. if anyone knows any information on if this is possible and where i can get the parts, reply back asap!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have a 93 auto, i saw that coldnoodle had a phat shifter in his ride, i loved it how can we do that man that is tight

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have no idea how to do it man!?!?! anybody out there that knows how and where to get a cool shifter knob for automatics, REPLY!!! They really do look tight.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There are shop that sells after market knob for auto.
But for those who like the look of manual knob, it's not too hard. You need a leather boot, and after market shift knob(I use Razo)= make sure that the shift knob is big enough to fit in the shaft as the auto shaft is a bit fatter than the regular shaft.

1. remove the OEM knob assembly, not too hard, just remove some screws(I did it years ago, forgot how many were there)

2. after remove the knob, also remove that plactic sleeve on the shaft.

3. remove the console(the shifter part), relocate the OD button(if you want, or just cut it), then go get a leather boot(I used Momo's boot $40)and use the boot to cover up the entire auto shift.

4. now all you have to do just put the manual knob onto it

5. you shift by just pushing down on the knob.(if the shifter seem too tall, you can trim the white plastic rod inside the shifter, "but not too much.")

here is how it looks

[Edited by coldnoodle on 10-21-2000 at 01:05 PM]

·
Registered
27 Posts
question

is that knob you have in your car coldnoodle a manual know or automatic know. you may have said mentioned this but i didn;t notice was just wondering

·
Registered
27 Posts
sorry you did

man i feel so stupid i read that like 4 times and it took 6 to get it sorry

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
is it really that simple cause i would to do that before i go to my show that would be phat to have done email me coldnoodle with the details and tips on how to do it thanks man getting the kit on this week and i wil have it back thurs but no doubt by friday he said

G

·
auto shift knob that keeps your hold/od working!!!

Hey there,
I also own a 99 Grand Prix and installed an auto shift knob on it. I have a "performance shift" option where you push a button on the shifter knob. When I was shopping for a new aftermarket knob, one of my requirments was that I could still have a button to push making the performance shift work.

Since our Mazda's also have a button on the side for either a "hold" fuction or "OD", I will be ordering another for the Mazda. It's called a "LEVOC" shift knob and looks REALLY GOOD.

Check them out. The website is:

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant....de=GN2003&Product_Count=1&Category_Code=GPINT

If the above does not work, go to pfyc.com. Click on the Grand Prix button. Then click Interior Accessories. Then you will click on shift knobs.

Later

·
Registered
413 Posts
i kinda have the same idea as coldnoodle there. pics are on my sig. took me about half day to get everything together. (modifing the shift knob itself because it doesn't quite fit)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put a levoc on my atx it is really easy and takes about an hour or so. I all so made a shift boot from vinle. Total cost equaled $120.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts