Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a short shifter in the car, but the problem is that when shifting into any gear, morso 1rst and 2nd though, it's difficult to put into gear. I have to put some force into it to go in. Downshifting is very hard to, going about 40mph and downshifting to 2nd to slow down is very difficult until I'm below 30mph and even then it's still a little hard.

Rough might not be the right word, it's just physically hard, it doesn't grind or anything during a shift.

Elude now has a 6 cylinder completely stock atm but it is a similar shift. Not quite as difficult as mine.

Is this a normal MX-6 issue? Every other car I've had has just slipped into gear very easily.

Reactions: Blake

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have heard of people haveing the same problem. It probley has nothing to do with it but have you changed or checked the level of the Mtx fluid in your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brought the car for an oil change at Oil Stop and they said they couldn't check the fluid because the intake was in the way!! Punks, I'm going to check it soon.

Pacesetter short shifter.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i have a short shifter, and well same problem, i tried a change in gear oil and well did the same, after a while you get used to the amount of force and when to shift and it doesn't seem as hard after a while, it would be nice to know the problem why its not a smooth but its doesn't bother me as much now

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I didn't even have to remove a wheel or mudgaurds. Those guys should be able todo it without a problem. Especially since they have lifts to work with. They were probably late for lunch.

metros

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that did seem VERY odd. But I didn't argue, I really don't think gear oil is the problem. But would still like my tranny to be in good condition.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
does the change get any better when the engine is warm and u've been driving 4 a while??

if so then u need 2 check the gear oil

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My car has the same problem, but I dont have a Short throw, just a regular shifter. So if I am doin 30+ its hard to get in 2nd( no grinds no nothing). Also if i am in 1st and get to over 5500 rpm and its kinda hard to get in 2nd again. All other gears go in easy( but not smooth). But I know that my linkeage bushings are worn out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
unamedplaya87 said:
My car has the same problem, but I dont have a Short throw, just a regular shifter. So if I am doin 30+ its hard to get in 2nd( no grinds no nothing). Also if i am in 1st and get to over 5500 rpm and its kinda hard to get in 2nd again. All other gears go in easy( but not smooth). But I know that my linkeage bushings are worn out

This is exactly the same way mine is. It does get a little easier for 1rst and 2nd when it's warmed up and it's hard to downshift into second going faster than 30. The other gears are hard but not as hard as first and 2nd. I'll check linkeage bushings though, although could someone explain what they do? And where they are and whether or not it's a tough job to check myself?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts