Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Do all MX6's have a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd ? My friends MX6 is also this way. Does any one know a fix. Hard to race like this, even though the car really goes in the other gears.

Larry Kenny

·
Registered
483 Posts
larken,

it seems like the synchro for 2nd gear on all mx-6's and even front wheel drive cars have a problem getting into 2nd. It is not a big deal in my opinion, I'm just being careful when putting into 2nd, I do it delicately, and to tell you the truth, I have no problem at all, it even shifts better when i'm being delicate into putting in 2nd gear. Don't worry about it.

anthony

G

·
0 Posts
When its cold (early morning) 1st to 2nd will give a little grind :( I find that double clutching helps and will rid the grind; all other gears are fine. Once its warmed up it doesn't do it. I think I'll change tranny fluid soon and try that redline stuff. It's supposed to be the best out there and because of its nature, it helps limber up the gear movements inside. You may want to try the redline fluid, couldn't hurt.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
ahh yes

I noticed that to about 1 to 2 shift, a little notchy and hard to make it smooth, I however get a nasty crunch in the 2-3 shift if over 3500rpms... Im gonna get the STs and the fancyassed trani fluid probably this weekend... I will let you know how it goes :)

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah on a cool morning, I have the same problem just getting into first gear.. even if i am shifting from 2nd to 1st, sometimes it grinds but only if cool out. Whats weird is I just had a brand new clutch kit put in.. So I figured I would be set. Who knows. Anyone else having this prob?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
put it in second and then first... they line up in their normal state... if you shift quickly enough, theres no need for synchros...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup, early morning shifts from 1st to 2nd is a wee bit grindy. Using a thinner gearbox oil makes for smoother shifting.

·
Registered
358 Posts
zakaron said:
When its cold (early morning) 1st to 2nd will give a little grind :( I find that double clutching helps and will rid the grind; all other gears are fine.
How does double clutching help the 1-2 shift, and what's the technique? My understanding was that double clutching was only used to downshift.

G

·
0 Posts
Mike 93LS said:
How does double clutching help the 1-2 shift, and what's the technique? My understanding was that double clutching was only used to downshift.
When I shift out of 1st I put it in neutral then let the clutch pedal out while in neutral, then push clutch in and shift to 2nd. It helps spin the gears up when going into 2nd. Unless this is the wrong terminology for the technique I used! Whatever its called, it helps get rid of the grind. Someday when I'm not busy with the Z I'll put some Redline in and see what gives.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
ahhh, quick q guys...

double clutching when downshifting? why is the purpose of it?

SolarSlash

·
Registered
103 Posts
My car too has the same problem from first to second on a cold morning, but after about 3 shifts its good...i just make sure i push the clutch right in and don't shift too rapidly and that helps

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't remember the link, but search threads for "julian bradbury" he's got a great probe/mx6 site that also talks about tranny fluid and this problem. I think it says that front wheel drives have this problem since the differential and gearbox must share the same fluid. The Redline Synthetic tranny fluid is the best solution according to the site. The fluid has to be thick enough to protect differentials but thin enough for the gearbox not to stick. Of course when its cold, its thicker and more syrupy and hence the notchy and tougher shifts.

Just make sure any tranny fluid you use DOES NOT CONTAIN SULFUR or sulphuric compounds. These will tear up your brass synchros and soon you'll need a new tranny!

hr

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I first bought the car, I took it in for a warranty claim for just this problem. They told me (after charging me for the "service"), "There is nothing wrong with the car. First gear is not synchronized." The car has 80,000 more miles on it since then, so it hasn't apparently affected wear. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: ahhh, quick q guys...

SolarSlash said:
double clutching when downshifting? why is the purpose of it?

SolarSlash
there was a thread on that before...ill find it for you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts