Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a short shift kit and know how easy it was
to install? I ordered a Pacesetter kit from Carparts.com and I was wondering if I should be calling my Mazda dealer....
By the way, I live in Minneapolis and I think it might get over 40 today for the first time in like 110 days, actually drove to work with the sunroof open!!!
thanks guys

·
Registered
59 Posts
very easy to install. Remove trim panel, remove rubber boot, remove clips, unbolt shifter linkage, lift out shifter. Installation is the reverse of removal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
no need to unbolt the cat, just make sure it's cooled down before you work near it.

PRD still makes the STS99, but you can make your own for free. Works just as well. Pacesetter and B&M also make a STS for our cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have a pacesetter shifter? everyone at probetalk
loves thier PRD but I ordered a pacesetter and was wondering if anyone liked/disliked thiers?

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I've had the PRD for a while and I love it...I know it's not an opinion on the PRD you wanted...I just had to voice my happiness with the PRD...good luck!

bj

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
pacesetter

I just got the pacesetter short shift installed in my car. It feels great once you get used to the new feeling. I love it and Pacesetter. As for install, the directions are in the box...you have to remove the heat shield. Too much trouble for me b/c I'm lazy so I just went and got my dealer to do it. Took a little over an hour. It was well worth it though. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
no need to remove the heat shield, just bend it out of the way.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
anyone in Canada

anyone in Canada ever had the sts99 prd shipped to them in Canada? if so... how much did it cost in total with tax,duty,shipping, and conversion?

I just need to know this before I order it in.. I dont want to pay anymore then I would have too...

thx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey aggiedj02, Just wondering what setting the ajustable Pacesetter STS was set on? Was it all the way to the top? Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have it set all the way to the top. The throw lenght was cut down by a lot. I couldn't say how much length it took off exactly, but it's very noticeable if you look at the shifter.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
ATTN Rufnek

I got mine for about 160$ canadian including shipping/duty etc. I'm in Montreal...good luck with yours, you'll be happy with it!

bj

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I dont know where to post this but I need HELP! I have a 00 626 and i am trying to get the old shifter off and everyone on here says its easy... I have disconnected the linkage from underneath and taken the boot off the top and I see the c clip but I cant figure out what to do from here. There is no way to get the c clip off because it is surrounded by a metal sleeve that connects to the plate that holdes it to the tunnel with the four bolts. There is a little boot underneath the car but there really isnt anything to get to behind it and I dont want to just go cutting off boots that probably keep the dirt out. If anybody understands this and can help please do!!! hopefully before i set the damn car on fire. jk

Thanks in advance and sorry if i posted in the wrong area

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
wow, thread from 01 :p

anyway, that C clip is a snap ring. PAIN IN THE ASSSSS (i'm exaggerating a bit, but I hate that snap ring). You'll need snap ring pliers. Even with the pliers, you'll have a hard time as it'll keep snapping back. You put the snapring tips in the holes, and squeeze and then you'll need a small screwdriver to get underneath one of the sides of the ring and hopefully you'll get one corner up. From there, get a good pair of pliers and push the ring in and up so that you clear the metal sleeve thing. make sure you don't let go as that snap ring will fly and it WILL hurt if it hits you. Underneath that, there is also another plastic snap ringish thing, which you also use the snap ring pliers to remote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey yea I got that after I stopped being a dub man i felt retarded after I figured it out!!
came out smooth as a babys butt after that and it is awesome. Got mine off ebay for 9 bucks and so far so good. One more question, are those two plastic bushing things that you have to reuse underneath the thing to replace if you want to get rid of play in the shifter??

thanks for the help again, Guy

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
there are two bushings on the shift linkage on the transmission side that will get rid of the play in the shifter. the bushings on the actual shifter itself also help, but most of the play is on the transmission side

Hey yea I got that after I stopped being a dub man i felt retarded after I figured it out!!
came out smooth as a babys butt after that and it is awesome. Got mine off ebay for 9 bucks and so far so good. One more question, are those two plastic bushing things that you have to reuse underneath the thing to replace if you want to get rid of play in the shifter??

thanks for the help again, Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts