Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying a short shift kit for my car, and was curious if it would help in performance any and which type to buy? On http://www.corksport.com there's two, a pacesetter and a B&M shift kit. Which is better and is it worth the money? Thank you for any help any one could give.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd hope not!

I sure would hope that corksport doesn't mark their products up by 100%. I'd never by a part from them if that's the case. I'm going to call paeco industries, who someone on another thread said were awesome, later on today though. I just want to know the advantage of having one before I spend the money on ripping my stock one out that's in perfect condition. Seems kind of pointless if there's no help...even a risk on getting a bad part! Thanks though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey guys...

I just got a PRD one, and I love it. All it does is shorten the throw of the shift. That's the only gain/improvement you will notice. You will be able to shift faster, therefore go faster. The PRD one is only available through their website and it's $100. However, you may be able to do what I did and find someone who will sell you one they already have. I found someone that bought it and then their car got screwed up before they could put it in, so I got a good price on it, and it was brand new...

Best of luck,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a B&M from carparts.com for $90 shipped, I used some coupon to get the discount. I love this shifter too, it shortens the throws, but it's still smooth enough to drive in traffic and stuff

·
Registered
148 Posts
NP will look for another using http://www.importhookup.com How much did it decrease the thow length? 2" like the other one for the acuras? BTW is that a TC kit you have on your 6? Or is it the Stealth from versus... It's exactly what I want... nothing like the big mouth "sho-gun" style or too simple like Erebuni... Niceeee ride man...

[Edited by Gene/=/Splicer on 01-31-2001 at 03:37 PM]

·
Registered
73 Posts
it cut the length around 1.5" or so, nothing too much. but the quality is very nice. it also comes with its own ball joint thing, instead of using the stock one. as for the kit, yeah, its the tc spoilers kit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
it sure is the same one on corksport and carparts!
and it DEFINITELY makes a diff. you gotta re-learn your shift techniques tho.
a) pacesetter only makes one,

b) corksport IS a little over priced (corksport KLZE=2200, rising sun KLZE=1400 and others too)

c) carparts is usually a little bit on the cheap side,

d) it was probably with a coupon too (30 off 100 i think, reg price is about that)

and e) only consider the pacesetter or the PRD. both excellent from what i've heard.

always glad to help!
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool...

Thanks again! I love these smilies.... looking at the price for the pacesetter (which is adjustable) I would have to bank with it... for $65 verses $120 on others... even on the same frickin part! Cool, seems I'll place my order soon...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got the B&M shortshift and shift improver kits on both my cars. I love the feeling. shifting is quicker, more precise. You feel like you're "clicking" into gears. It reduced the throw by 60% on the Honda, and 45% on the Talon. Took me about a half hour to get the hang of the new stick positions.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
two things

Firrst off I have to thank you for all the help. I'll probably place my order here pretty soon and not on corksport. A little overpriced for a KLZE is like a $100, not $800. That's a body kit...at least in Texas it is. Lasty: I have never heard anybody call it a Honda Del Slow...that's just plain funny!!!

p.s. How do you get the smiley faces to move like that?

·
Registered
148 Posts
go to FAQ's

scroll to the top of the page and you'll see a ? followed by FAQ's. click the link and click "What are smilies?" and it has all the codes for the different smilies... @- :D :eek: :V civics :freak:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
paeco doesnt have short-throw shift kits. clutches, flywheels, slotted and cross-drilled rotors, carbs...but no freakin shifters??? oh well. check your local speed shop.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One quick question?

Okay...I just bought the Pacesetter kit from http://www.carparts.com and was wondering something. They had shift bushings or something like that too. They didn't have any for the MX6, but do I need those witht he kit too. They run like $16, which is cheap. I'm thinking I don't need them, but I don't want to find out when my car is apart, you know!

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I didn't need to change the bushings when I put my PRD STS on. So I don't think you'll need new bushings...unless they are finished...

bj

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not, to burst anyone's bubble, but it's pretty easy to modify the stock shifter for shorter throws. All you need is a small piece of steel tube stock the same diameter and thickness as the shifter bushing housing. Cut it to the same length as the bushing housing. Have a local shop weld it to the bottom, parallel to the original housing. Voila, you've lengthened it approximately .8" and shortened throw 40%, the same length as the PRD(you'll need new bushings). If you want to reduce stick height, simply cut off all but 4 threads from the top and grind off the lip right below the threads. The neat thing is that you can return to the stock throw by using the upper bushing housing. Total cost for mine was $0. I found the steel tube in my garage. I upgraded my shifter bushings to Delrin units made by a fellow PT.com member for $10, got rid of all the slop/play in the shifter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts