Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the perfect shifter nob for my car but it adds about 2 inches to my throw. It feels like im driveing a semi. My shifter nob uses set screws and i hate to say this can i hack down my stock shifter to make a short shifter affect. Would that cause any problems??

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
It will look shorter, but it won't actually provide a shorter throw. Either way, it won't hurt anything to cut it down.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Malicious said:
It will look shorter, but it won't actually provide a shorter throw. Either way, it won't hurt anything to cut it down.
Exactly, I hacked mine down about 1 1/2 years ago, no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
from what ive read, the knob isnt what makes a sts a sts. Its the shorter poll below the pivot that goes into the trany that makes a sts a sts.
Forget the knob...and get a real sts. Just my $.02 worth.
I dont have one.....but its certainly a consideration if ever I should do this.
Search a bit on this site and get more info - you'd be surprised as to what is out there.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
TJ is right, the shifter could be 2 ft tall, it still travels the same distance, know what i mean? i still say cut it, maked it look much nicer, hell i even did it on my ATX put a manual knob on it and shortened it about an incha and a half, look GREAT!

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
TJ-MX6 said:
from what ive read, the knob isnt what makes a sts a sts. Its the shorter poll below the pivot that goes into the trany that makes a sts a sts.
If I recall correctly, it's longer below and shorter above.

The reason why it's called a "short throw" is because you move your hand less.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Been thinking about what I said, and I will admit, I was wrong. Fastest95 is correct. Its longer below the pivot ball that makes a sts a sts.
I was like like trying to find a pic of the diff on here..but couldnt..
Found this via google....

Altho this may not be a sts for the 6, it depicts the difference btwn stock and a true sts.
Sorry to mislead anyone...my 'bad'....

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
It's ok to be wrong sometimes. :tup:

I remember how it goes because of people that used to cut a chunk out of the top of their stock shifter and put it below... essentially moving the ball up the same shifter shaft.

·
Registered
78 Posts
makes unequviqual sense...more 'work' is performed at the now longer end (relative to the fulcrum) with less distance required on the 'throw'.:jump: One question: having not had the luxury of ever using one, is shifting harder, more effort, smoother, easier, etc...

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
The shift is more "notchy" typically because you are applying less leverage to the shift.

I recently took my RR STS out of my 2g and put my gf's LS's stock shifter in (yes, bad bushings and all) so I could put more force on my 1-2 shift to help force it into gear.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Interesting.. You put the old back in, so you could apply more force for 1-2 shift.
Whats the point of a sts then?? - having not used on.
Or is using the old one for the purpose you mentioned better for a racing application?!?! - Ya know, when you're getting it on Fast..for the shift and hanking it back into 2nd !

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Well, I honestly don't believe that a STS gives any benefit to shifting speed. I could rip through gears very quick on my old transmission with the stock shifter. Going to a STS on a poor shifting transmission just made things worse.

Think about it, less leverage is being applied to the transmission linkage when using a STS, so more force has to be applied by your hand to get the same net force on the transmission to get it to shift as fast.

I put the stock shifter back in my 2g simply to let me put all my muscle into the shift and have the added leverage to help as well since the STS wasn't doing it for me. I figure at this point something is going to break (stock shifter, transmission, transmission linkage) and I just don't care anymore because I hate the 1-2 synchro just that much.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Some people swear by them.. and I would love to go to their house late at night to steal their transmission. })

I think it's another case of the mod that sounds like it should work but really adds no benefit. I won't say what the other(s) are that come to mind because I don't want to start a debate. :)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yeah, the STS in my mx6 was awesome, I payed I think 40 for it brand new from a buddy, I suggest getting one, its badass shifting from a flick of the wrist lol I thought about cuttin it down, but its real easy to install, and very cheap, so I'd just buy one man, you'll be impressed.

EDIT: yeah it might not be that much of a help in the 1/4 mile, but it was so nice to shift even in normal driving. Acually now that I think about it, becuase of the installation of the STS, I had MAJOR trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd, like it too alot of strength, and puttin it in reverse was a bitch.

When I would leave it in gear like 3rd or something, people would NOT believe me that it was in gear, thats now short the throw was. But I suppose the only reason it didnt shift real smooth, was because of the fact that it was designed by pacesetter lol

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Malicious said:
Actually, it does make throw shorter. Compare the arrows.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts