Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, if its a true short shifter. You will not a get a shorter throw by just cutting your stock shift knob, but if you buy an actual short shifter, it is designed slightly different, so that the length for the throw between gears is slower. I dont know the advanced reasoning for all of this, but this should get you by. Oh, I have rafis STS, and love it! Except I dont know where the red bushings go...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
id like to argue that u do get a shorter throw shifter just by cutting ur shift lever. u have to take into consideration that when u cut the shifter the ratio of shift lever above the pinion point to shift lever below the pinion point changes. granted it wouldnt work as well as a STS produced by a company like rafi's , but it would work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have a b&m one and i love it. the way they work is that they are shorter but they are weighted differently and change the spot they pivot. it becomes higher so that the distance between gears is shorter. you can easily feel the difference. if you're wondering how a cut lever would feel. just hold onto a spot below your shift knob and shift and see how it feels. its different than a real short throw shifter. you can get a pacesetter one for about 90 and a b&m for about 100.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeh, it only took me about 45 minutes or an hour and I am of the mechanically inept. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
id like to argue that u do get a shorter throw shifter just by cutting ur shift lever. u have to take into consideration that when u cut the shifter the ratio of shift lever above the pinion point to shift lever below the pinion point changes. granted it wouldnt work as well as a STS produced by a company like rafi's , but it would work
This would depend on your definition of a "shorter throw".. If you say that is the movement of the rod, then cutting the shifter will not change the throw distance. However, if you consider the throw to be the horizontal distance that the shift knob ( or your hand) travels, then it would shorten the throw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts