Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most people i bought an after market shift knob, and i liked it and it was fine for me. Then i my dad got a 2004 rx8 and it has a short shifter and i love it , so i chopped some inches off of the bar so now its a short shifter, i told people and they were all like thats cool, and it looks good. But then my brother tells me that its bad for the trassmission because its adding force since there is more leverage. Is this true that its really bad, and if so how bad?
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Your brother should stop talking about cars.

First off, you don't have atrue short throw shifter, you have a short shifter. A true short throw shifter has a longer bottom section that creates more leverage on the other side of the pivot. Think of it as a teeter totter.

But yeah, your shifter works just as fine as a ny short throw out there, though it is not as efficient as a true short throw.

As far as leverage, it is harder on YOU, not the transmission. You now have LESS leverage than before, causing harder shifting (which is reason why some poeple go for a true short throw shifter.)

And hell, even if you added more leverage, which you can by welding a 12 inches long stick on your stock shifter so you have that Big Rig ultra long throw, it wouldn't hurt the transmission. The force that you apply is negligable compare to the torque the engine is applying to the transmission.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parsifal: Dont worry i know its not a real one, and thanks for clearing that up for me .
Pup: the bar that connects directly to the shift know, i jsut hacked a couple of inches from it and then got a shift know that uses set screw so it keeps good enough pressure to stay in place

1 - 4 of 4 Posts