Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to cut the shift arm in order to make the overall length shorter. What would the difference be between this and a pacesetter short throw

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
This can be done; but it must be welded back together once you have set it to the length you wish. It also is not very adjustable.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think he meant cut by trimming from the top down where the knob is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They have tools to thread metal like a shift lever easily.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, I meant cut from the top (where the knob goes) I have a freind who can re-thread but I don't think I'll even need to do that because my knob is an aftermarket MOMO which just tightens itself against a rubber boot you put over the shift lever
anyway - so you gearheads think this is ok to do
Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, I did that. When I got my MOMO knob and leather shift boot, the shifter was too tall, and I couldn't screw the knob into the boot. I cut about an inch and a half off of the shifter, and since the MOMO is universal, there's no need to wory about the thread. The shift distance wasn't really shorter, just lower. I say go for it, but be sure to remove the shifter from the car first! Dont ask how I know this...
I installed the Pacesetter, and it's great. Probably the only decent product that they make. Compared to the cut stock shifter, it's a night and day difference. The throws are VERY short when adjusted to the shortest setting. Unfortunately, the shift effort is VERY high! However, there's a stiffer shift bushing with the kit, so there's less play in the shifter.
Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought about cutting my stock shifter but do yo guys find that the shifter gets bigger about three inched down. Its like there is an extra sleeve of metal that is large in diameter than the rest of the shifter.
How did you cut it and still have room for the knob?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, they all have that bulge in them. There's nothing that you can do about that, so it limits how much you can cut. Whatever you do, be sure to leave enough length above the bulge to install a shifter knob. Otherwise, that bulge will end up acting as the knob.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
im thinking of puting a manual knob an my auto, with the boot and evrything, hold button will be moved just under the knob. it has been done on gen 2 but as far as i know gen 2 actual rod is different to that of the first, so things from that conversion do not apply to me. does any one know how should i go about doing it all on gen one? thanx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts