Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not been on for a while chaps, sorry. A lot of stuff going on in my life at the moment and most of it very stressful unfortunately.

:cry: I'm in a right dilemma at the moment. The 6 needs mot on the 2nd and taxing at the end of November. At the moment she only gets driven to and from my girlfriends and we are hopefully moving in together soon. The car has started making a whining noise from the pulley/water pump/cambelt tensioner side and needs sorting, plus a host of other bits that I can see will need doing for the MOT. Problem is, I dont have the £ to throw at the car and i need something to get around in urgently. If I sell her as she is i'll be lucky to make £500 so heres the dilemma, break it or sell it "as is"

My mate has an empty garage at the moment and says I can use it to break the 6. Storage isnt a problem. If I get enough interest i'll do it, NO HESITATION or MESSING AROUND! I'll buy another cheap runaround and the 6 will get stripped (and you all know I can do that!!)

Bits I can see that will be worth selling are

Full black leather interior with electric drivers seat
Debadged Bonnet and Boot
Alloys and Tyres
FSE and 67mm Throttle body
KLZE engine (bottom end NOT intake)
induction kit
Headlamps/fogs etc
Powerflow backbox
Nearly new ignition leads
3 guages and Din panel (easy to wire up)
Gear knob and handbrake
Plasma ball ??????? lol!
New rear brakes and refurbed calipers
plus all the other odds and sods that you vultures seem to break on your cars!

Let me know if you think i'm doing the right thing or someone make me an offer for the car as it is. Mot is due 2nd Nov, mileage is 147k with service history up to 130k (had the ZE fitted at 139k). Every previous MOT + you all know the car by now. pics here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuzzer/mymx6/

Parts enquiries via PM please, dont fill the thread with requests coz it starts arguments. Make me offers for stuff

DONT ASK "HOW MUCH", JUST MAKE AN OFFER FOR WHAT YOU WANT!! VIA PM ONLY

I WILL break it if theres enough interest but would prefer a sensible offer for the car as a whole to save time. Not going down the Ebay route, too much aggro!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't break it!
But I do need some new leads... not to mention some SS kick plates.
Seriously, that's one of the nicest sixes about, don't break it please!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Stu, if there's anyway to avoid breaking it... I hope you keep her on the road.

If you do break it, I know someone who'll buy the leather interior, the woman who bought my J-spec keeps asking me if I can get her a leather interior and I would imagine she'll pay at least a couple hundred for it. Let me know and I'll see if she's still looking... I just hope it doesn't come to that.

ZE should fetch at least £400 on ebay, as all the probe guys will be looking at it as well.

Hot Cheese... too late on the SS sills I'm afraid, bought those a few weeks ago. :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
don't break her!! she sounds like a really nice car
and the noise is probably the belt needs a bit of tightning!! (not sure how u spell it) :)
had that on my mx3 all winter went 2 the mech and told him 2 tighten it a bit (it was the alt belt) and it was fine!! as for mot don't u know any mech that can do it 4 u??

·
Registered
822 Posts
DONT BREAK HER!!!

like the mice used to sing on Bagpus 'we will mend her, we will fix her, we will make her better again.' the magical, electrical, plasma ball!!!!
but if you do break her..... i am going to sell my body to finance my offers!

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not something that simple (C)rasheed, ive looked and the belts are fine.

To Mot it i think i'm going to need

a. A cat
b. Rear stabiliser link
c. shocks and springs (maybe)
d. new front brake pads (again!)
e. nearside cv joint (maybe?)

plus anything else that comes up like emissions, joints/bearings etc.

Then theres the MOT fee and labour and parts for anything needed and to be honest I just dont need the stress. All i need is a car to get from a to b for a bit til I move in with my girlfriend. She has a car we can share and I have the van for work (work only unfortunately) so i just need a runaround til then. If I decide to keep the 6 on the road i'll have to find all the £ to get it mot'd and taxed and then i'll be selling it (proberbly for peanuts) in a few weeks/months depending on my circumstances. I dont think its worth it to be honest.

People dont realise, these cars arent worth as much as you think. Ebay prices are coming down all the time and we've all seen the bargains that are out there. Mods dont make bgger all difference to the selling price half the time, youre certainly not going to get back what you spend. The way I look at it is that my car is worth £1000 tops with an MOT due to age/mileage/condition. Its going to take a lot of money I dont have to keep it on the road so unless someone want to make an offer for it complete, ITS BREAKER BREAKER TIME!!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
CV joint won't fail the mot unless it's falling apart, but if the cv boot has perished you can get a replacement easily enough.

I posted a link to an ebayer selling CV joints, emailed him and he doesn't have any for the MX6 with ABS ring, but you can remove the ABS ring from your old one and fit it, but it takes more work and can be a basty to do.

If you sell her with an mot, then put it on ebay and make a huge point out of all the mods, especially the 67mm TB and FPR. Point out it has the KLZE engine that outputs 198bhp over the stock KL03 which is 164bhp... Just don't mention the inlet manifold. :)

She should sell for £1500 if you advertise her right, add rare to the auction a lot and highlight the performance mods .. You've gotta be touching 200bhp at the flywheel.

·
Registered
822 Posts
this is a sad day.......
so heres the plan.... moth ball the car while we sort out cheap parts, then we all come over and fit them for you! Cant say fairer than that?!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Ya know I'm more than willing to help... I just lack some knowledge and experience.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys but I think you are missing the point. I need a car that is MOT'd and taxed before the end of next week and I'm broke. The only way to raise any £ is to sell the 6 or break it.

Believe me, I dont want to. You've all seen the time and effort ive put into the car, shes 90% resprayed and goes like a rocket. At the end of the day, its just a car and i have other priorities in life now. If i'm in a position to buy myself a "toy" to have in the garage when things settle down then its Jspec here we come, but at the moment its a matter of getting my priorities sorted.

Anyone know how Del is getting on with his? Wonder if he's interested?

·
Registered
749 Posts
That body is so much better than mine, seems like such a shame.
I'm also interested in the wheels but i'm on a pretty strict budget for wheels so i'll wait to see if anyone else offers you more first.
I'd take the whole thing off your hands if I could and take parts from mine but no can do i'm affraid.

·
Registered
822 Posts
well if your planning on another 6 later on...... i guess we forgive you!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
breaking MX-6

I think the car is way too good to break - why, if you have storage?

The stabiliser link is a £12 item.

I'd be surprised if they failed it on the shocks.

I can go and wazz the cat & water pump off that blue one if you want.

It isn't a rotbox.

If you can sort the timing belt / water pump / tensioner it will make it much more saleable (and that will be an MOT fail IMO). Also I have all the timing belt hardware from the blue one if you want to fit that instead.

I am also in the Midlands for a wander during my forthcoming fortnight off if you want a hand with anything. All I need is feeding and a saucer of milk daily.

It may take you a little while to sell it but I think it will sell. If you want to depress yourself about things which won't sell, come and look at my house sometime :damnmad: .

ifc

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
It's a wonder Wolfie hasn't put a bid in for the plasma ball })

Seriously Stu.. you KNOW it can be fixed.. and cheaply, there are enough parts going around..

John

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ian F Chequer said:
why, if you have storage?
Because I need a car with MOT and TAX to get to my girlfriends daily and I dont have the £ to stash the 6 and buy something else. I need to sort this in the next week and Ive got a lot going on in my life at the mo so I dont need the added stress of buying parts, getting the work done and taking time off to sort the MOT.

Ian F Chequer said:
All I need is feeding and a saucer of milk daily.

ifc
Erm..... I saw you eating habits at the Portsmouth breaking day and I'm afraid my budget wont stretch to that mate!!!! :flipa:

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
Sorry to hear this Stuzzer. You've been working so hard on this car it must be very hard for you.

ElmerFud

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
a mate can get u mot for 80 without seeing the car
pm me in interested

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Rasheed... not only is that ilegal, it's also highly imoral and downright dangerous to everyone else on the road. The MoT is there for a reason and it's only saying that the car meets the MINIMUM basic requirements of road worthyness. If you'd drive with no valid MoT, why not drive with no tax or insurance, hell why not get beered up first and then go for a spin.

You cannot put a car on the road that is unfit to pass even the MoT no matter what. Having lost a friend because of some wanker driving a car with no MoT or insurance, who after a night in the pub decided to drive on the wrong side of the road headfirst into my friends car causing it to explode and burn her to death... well, I'd appreciate you never making that suggestion again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
stuzzer said:
I need a car that is MOT'd and taxed before the end of next week and I'm broke. The only way to raise any £ is to sell the 6 or break it.

Believe me, I dont want to. You've all seen the time and effort ive put into the car, shes 90% resprayed and goes like a rocket. At the end of the day, its just a car and i have other priorities in life now.....
Anyone know how Del is getting on with his? Wonder if he's interested?
Sorry to hear about your probs...its best to break the car and move on. I say this because in the past 4 months, I'd spent £800 getting my old MR2 through MOT test only to have to sell it £650 on ebay just 4 weeks after the wretched MOTI had the same experience with my xedos..spend £600 to get MOT and the car is worth £600. Didnt even sell on ebay!! Now I'm £1400 poorer before I got my Mx-6 2 weeks ago with 10 months MOT. if the heart is involved, it could be expensive....no xmas present for me this year!!

As you said, its only a car anyway...My advice...break up the mx6 and get another one with 10-12 months MOT for a runaround and keep all your knowledge of mx6 intact..and stay with the club....(there is one on ebay at £500....)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts