Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing a mx3 and a mx6 in same price range(1500 cad) engine n trans in good condition may only need weld rust holes and tlc. good deal or no? which gen of mx6 is better 1 or 2? i know, maybe honda or toyota… but these in good condition are not quite common now also fun to drive(not considering to turn it into a race car in any near future) and price is acceptable. so is it worth it?

· Registered
3,011 Posts
The MX6 is a much better car than the MX3.

Which generation is better 1 or 2? That could be a never ending discussion involving a lot of personal opinions.

For years me and my shop partner worked 1st and 2nd gen MX6's, probes and 88-92 626's.
Leaving styling, performance and handling out of the equation the 1st gen mx6 has a very strong cast iron block with 5 massive rod caps, a stronger transmission and axles, stronger control arms ... the 1st gen interior (especially the 88-89) is made of better more durable material, the dashes rarely crack, the seat upholstery doesn't wear with time, the sensors and many other parts are better built, more durable and reliable...
All of the things I mention are facts not opinions and it's not a matter or 1st or 2nd gen it's simply a matter of what year the cars where built and how things where built at that time, as years progress engineers and manufactures focus less and less on durability and simplicity of servicing and more and more on using less material. I would say 1990 was the years most auto manufacturers fully moved in this direction.

Some cars where given enough hp and engine durability to make up for the money saving trends of the early 90's cars.
Take the RX7 and toyota supra, although the 93+ models both perform much better the interiors on these years is cheaper and shittier, the rx7 is a nightmare to work on compared to the previous generation, the 93+ supra has an engine that is durable and has so much more performance potential than the previous generation making the 93+ supra the better supra to buy. The RX7 is never a good choice, although the rotary engine is really efficient and if serviced properly can be reliable it is not durable.

Unlike many manufactures improving model performance enough to make the more economically built early 90's models better that the previous generation the 88-92 mx6 GT and 93-97 MX6 LS run the same quarter mile time but the 88-92 gt is much easier to make more power than factory with and has more potential than the KLDE and KLZE blocks in stock and modified form (the 2.5L aluminum block only has four main caps and they aren't strong enough to prevent distortion running any serious amount of boost).
The Mazda 323 is like the supra, the japan only 1993 + 323GTR got a stronger 1.8L cast iron block, a larger turbo and lots more power and performance suspension than the previous generation, the interior trim is all made of shit plastic like the supra, rx7, mx6 of the same years and because it was japan only and cars don't last there the interior was even crappier than the others, there are no inner bumpers and the car is probably dangerous in a crash (right hand drive rx7's have even shittier interiors than north american models).

I prefer the 1gen styling and interior, the fact it's easy to work on and uses more durable parts but if the 2nd gen came with a cast iron 6 cylinder block with strong main caps and a larger turbo than first gen and stronger transmission, I would be driving a 2nd gen and like the 93+ Supra and 323 gtr I would say it is the better generation.

Better car criteria in order.

1- Engine performance, durability and potential.
2- Vehicle build quality, materials used and ease to work on.

Non criteria.
Suspension and brakes can be easily modified and with the wealth of info on customizing online and universal parts available, vehicle specific aftermarket support doesn't matter.

From all my research the F2T is the best motor Mazda ever made, I looked into the 6cylinder 929 cast iron blocks of the same years, the miller V6 (difficult to maintain and service = unreliable), the MZR 2.3l turbo (junk), the 2.0L FE3 (only smaller displacement mazda motor I looked into) even the ford probe vulcan V6 3.0L and many other larger displacement factory Mazda engines, none have the potential or durability or transmission and axle strength of the F2T.
That is a sad statement to make, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Honda even Hyundai and KIA have all built faster cars than Mazda has over the years, Mazda's are more fun to drive than many other cars but although driving an Mx5 through a winding road is really fun loosing a street race in a 2 door roadster to just about everything sucks.
Mazda really dropped the ball when it comes to performance.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MX6 is a much better car than the MX3.

Which generation is better 1 or 2? That could be a never ending discussion involving a lot of personal opinions.

For years me and my shop partner worked 1st and 2nd gen MX6's, probes and 88-92 626's.
Leaving styling, performance and handling out of the equation the 1st gen mx6 has a very strong cast iron block with 5 massive rod caps, a stronger transmission and axles, stronger control arms ... the 1st gen interior (especially the 88-89) is made of better more durable material, the dashes rarely crack, the seat upholstery doesn't wear with time, the sensors and many other parts are better built, more durable and reliable...
All of the things I mention are facts not opinions and it's not a matter or 1st or 2nd gen it's simply a matter of what year the cars where built and how things where built at that time, as years progress engineers and manufactures focus less and less on durability and simplicity of servicing and more and more on using less material. I would say 1990 was the years most auto manufacturers fully moved in this direction.

Some cars where given enough hp and engine durability to make up for the money saving trends of the early 90's cars.
Take the RX7 and toyota supra, although the 93+ models both perform much better the interiors on these years is cheaper and shittier, the rx7 is a nightmare to work on compared to the previous generation, the 93+ supra has an engine that is durable and has so much more performance potential than the previous generation making the 93+ supra the better supra to buy. The RX7 is never a good choice, although the rotary engine is really efficient and if serviced properly can be reliable it is not durable.

Unlike many manufactures improving model performance enough to make the more economically built early 90's models better that the previous generation the 88-92 mx6 GT and 93-97 MX6 LS run the same quarter mile time but the 88-92 gt is much easier to make more power than factory with and has more potential than the KLDE and KLZE blocks in stock and modified form (the 2.5L aluminum block only has four main caps and they aren't strong enough to prevent distortion running any serious amount of boost).
The Mazda 323 is like the supra, the japan only 1993 + 323GTR got a stronger 1.8L cast iron block, a larger turbo and lots more power and performance suspension than the previous generation, the interior trim is all made of shit plastic like the supra, rx7, mx6 of the same years and because it was japan only and cars don't last there the interior was even crappier than the others, there are no inner bumpers and the car is probably dangerous in a crash (right hand drive rx7's have even shittier interiors than north american models).

I prefer the 1gen styling and interior, the fact it's easy to work on and uses more durable parts but if the 2nd gen came with a cast iron 6 cylinder block with strong main caps and a larger turbo than first gen and stronger transmission, I would be driving a 2nd gen and like the 93+ Supra and 323 gtr I would say it is the better generation.

Better car criteria in order.

1- Engine performance, durability and potential.
2- Vehicle build quality, materials used and ease to work on.

Non criteria.
Suspension and brakes can be easily modified and with the wealth of info on customizing online and universal parts available, vehicle specific aftermarket support doesn't matter.

From all my research the F2T is the best motor Mazda ever made, I looked into the 6cylinder 929 cast iron blocks of the same years, the miller V6 (difficult to maintain and service = unreliable), the MZR 2.3l turbo (junk), the 2.0L FE3 (only smaller displacement mazda motor I looked into) even the ford probe vulcan V6 3.0L and many other larger displacement factory Mazda engines, none have the potential or durability or transmission and axle strength of the F2T. BeeTV - Download Bee TV APK on Android, Firestick & PC
That is a sad statement to make, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Honda even Hyundai and KIA have all built faster cars than Mazda has over the years, Mazda's are more fun to drive than many other cars but although driving an Mx5 through a winding road is really fun loosing a street race in a 2 door roadster to just about everything sucks.
Mazda really dropped the ball when it comes to performance. Filmplus APK Download on Android, Firestick & Nvidia Shield
Thank you very much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts