Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new member here.

I am looking for advice. Ive always wanted an MX6 and have recently been offered one by a work collegue, and as im not familiar with the cars i need advice and a very short review. I will outline the car briefly below, if you guys could advise me wether its worth buying ( i appreciate you cant view the car) i would be really gratefull, you may prevent me buying a dog of a car or may help me get a good one at a fair deal.

Its a 2.5 GT, k reg, Black, completely standard with 110,000 on the clock. The car is very clean inside and out, in fact i was surprised how well it did look, no rust at all and very little wear and tear inside. Ive done some research on common problems with the car and this one has had the rear brake caliper sieze up but the owner has replaced the caliper completely ( phew). the only mechanical worry i have is the noisy tappits, i believe this could simply be an oil issue but it could be an oil pump issue ( if so how much would i have to pay to rectify this???) As this is someone i know i half jokingly offered him £1000 for it and he considerd it, then said he was looking more towards £1500 for it, but then left it with me to make him an offer, if i got it for a grand i would feel that a good deal, is it???? No other problems that i know of.

So guys, based on what you know, would you consider buying it????
please help

Thanks

marty g

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
1st Welcome marty

The car, ok you say it has noisey tappets,

1st are they nisey allthe time ? if they are then sk him if he will do an oil flush and get new oil and filter, and these cars like 0/40 or 5/40 oil and if the tapping stops then fine, if it doesn't, then a new oil pump is expensive, and labour wouldn't be cheap either.

These cars NEVER rust, one of the great points of them, other things to look out for at the drop links on thew front and rear of the car, they are the little links that attach to the antiroll bar.

Calipers on the rear are a prob so don't be supprised if the other ones starts sticking if you buy it, and the milage isn't a prob for this car they will run up to 300,000, if looked after regular oil changes and the likes, oh and only get the dealer oil filters.

The price seems fine, but if it does need a new oil pump then unless you can get someone to do the job for you walk away m8.

Hope the car only needs a flush and oil change, as these are great cars, there are a few for sale on the site in UK slae section, and some 626 the saloon model with the same engine and reliablity.

best of luck

Andy

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hi Marty and welcome.

Well, what can I say that Andy hasn't already said? 100% agree with the HLA (tappet) noise - a flush, new filter and some good oil should sort it - if it doesn't then like he said, walk away.

Not much goes wrong with these cars providing the oils aren't neglected. As you've already seen, the only real problem with the early cars is the rear calipers. And if they've been replaced the problem has gone as the new design fixed the fault.

One other thing that may rear it's ugly head is a distributor fault. If it does, don't be browbeaten into buying a new dizzy by any garages - just get the Ford replacement parts (Mazda don't sell them).

If you're happy after that, buy it and enjoy life! :D

Ken

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi marty, and welcome mate!

Well yep the other two have idetified the main probs just another 1:

Steering Rack can sometimes be a fault with an early car just check there is no knocking on steering or its not damp!

Stu

ps Bedlam is right they dont rust easy but i had to respray my sunroof coz of rust :( but no other rust on it and its L reg!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi Marty,

And to reiterate what everyone else says - Welcome to the board...

I have a '92 MX6 and the HLA's were a bit tappy when I first got it (a year ago), but I changed the oil and the noise went away, so it'd be worth seeing if this one did the same.
As for price, £1500 is v. reasonable, mine had 96k on the clock when I bought it and I paid £2500 for it (it was through a dealer tho).

Oh, and I've not had any of the 'normal' faults (touch wood) ie - Dizzy & Calipers, so it doesn't affect all cars...

Will

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Hi Marty and welcome to the board..

Most of the problems have been listed above.. the HLA one is not normally down to the oil pump, but rather the HLA's themselves..
As said, flush and oil change using a good quality oil, and only ever use a genuine Mazda filter.

If th noise goes, fine.. if not, check the oil pressure first. HLA's arn't cheap, but it's much less work. (and have the cambelt changed at the same time.)

John

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Guys many many thanks.

I guess asking if a 6 is worth having is a silly question round here..lol.

I will ask the owner about flushing and like you all say hopefully thats all it is. Hes off to buy a 323GTX apparently. One point, you guys say walk away if the noise doesnt go after flushing, just supposing i convinced him to sell it REALLY cheap as it has a potential oil pump prob, is it still worth buying?? I mean if its cheap enough, maybe the buying figure plus the pump repair cost may still be within the REAL value, if you get me. What im asking really is, would a pump problem mean steer clear of the car altogether? or just depending on what you pay for it. The reason i ask is i get the impression he will sell at a good price if pushed, he seems really keen to get the GTX and already has the money so he wants shot of the 6. This all supposing there is a pump prob of course.

Also, running costs? reasonable? I do 60 miles a day to work, will it break me?

Again thanks for your time guys.

marty ( hopefully fully fledged member soon)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not sure about the price thing, but as for running costs...

I do a round trip each day of 90 miles to work, it costs me about £60 per week in petrol (depending on how i drive!)
I normally get about 250 miles out a tank of petrol (£30) which I don't think is too bad...
It only costs me £10 a week more than when I had a Daewoo Matiz with an 800cc engine!! I think this is due to it revving less in the MX6.

Will

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Marty

Welcome m8 - just a quick test for you to do with regards to the oil pump - you can either have a oil presure test done, two ways to do that 1. Go to a garage and ask them or 2. you can buy a mechanical gauge take out the origal oil sender unit, which is in the front of the engine block close to the oil filter, screw in the mechanical oil sender unit that came with the presure gauge and start the car - the pressure should be

49 - 71 psi at 3000 rpm. the relief pressure is 72 - 85 psi (relief valve)
as posted by EINSTEIN WHEN i had some issues with my car.

You can even turn the key and the oil light should go off as the motor starts if this happens I doubt it is the oilpump.

M8 if you do decide to buy the car, just enjoy it.

William

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
If it turns out that the noise is still there, it is not too much detrement to the car, just noise.. the faulty HLA's will need replacing at some point.. not to hard a job, and I can send you all the details regarding this..(apart from cost)

John

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again guys, your comments are most helpfull, im gonna make him an offer on the car when i see him early next week. I dont want to approach him today cuz hes an Aussie and no doubt hes depressed and wont sell a cheap car to an Englishman after this mornings events.
I popped to a local Maz dealer and discussed the HLA noise with the senior technician, he said he very much doubts its the oil pump and would be v surprised if it was but it would cost around £400 to sort it if it was. This with your lots comments has given me the confidence to make an offer, i will knock him down enough that if a new pump is needed i still pay out in total what the car is worth or less. I dont think i could get a better deal than a MX6 in great condition for under £1500 anywhere else, and ive got a good gut feeling a flush and oil change will sort the HLAs. If im wrong, and it needs the pump, and i get the car i will still only have spent around £1500, so i cant go far wrong me thinks.

Anyways, here goes.

marty

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Yes, I would also buy the car at that price... but it ain't the pump...
it's the HLA's... and that's 99.9% sure.

(even I can be wrong once in a while) })

John

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys.

He has accepted my offer of £1200. I think ive got a bargain, the only thing he wont throw in as ive knocked him down so much is the Momo steering wheel, oh well. I did notice a small push in the bodywork next to the front off side indicator, on the wing, but its a dentmaster job i think so shouldnt breal me. I quizzed him about any faults, hes a mate so im sure hes honest when he said there werent any. I may have to replace two tyres in a couple months, but the tax is till mid 2004 as is the MOT.

A bargain??

Marty

·
Registered
300 Posts
Glad you got the car for such a good price enjoy it m8 - did you take delivery of the car yet or not? Well just sort out the noise.

Flush the motor use a geniune Mazda filter and preferably a good senthetic oil 10w40 or 5w40 m8.

Cheers on the car m8

William

1 - 14 of 14 Posts