Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove an 88 gt this morning, wow! you guys werent lying when you said they were sleepers, i had no idea. he told me he would sell it too, it has 154,000 but only 5,000 on the rebuilt engine (including the turbo). he is a mechanic at the mazda dealer so i belive him for the most part. he has a msd ignition, turbo timer, blow-out valve, a-pillar gauges (Boost, Air Fuel Mixture, Fuel Pressure, Voltage) some electonic display that allows you to adjust the boost, the rpm's, fuel pressurer and what seemed like a bazillion other things, it also has coil overs, cold air intake, and some other interior goodies and. it is optioned out, but then again i am guessing most gt's are. the only draw back is the paint is done, and i mean done. it looks like whoever painted it just sprayed it, they painted over the pin strip, mazda decals, everything, and it is peeling off. so the car is half silver and black.

he told me that he would sell it to me for 3500? what do you guys think?

by the way...i changed my mind the auto's really stink,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like a whole lot of goodies. I'd be a little weary of buying such a modded out car with so many miles, but if the guy's a mechanic he should know what he's doing. So as long as he seems trust worthy, I'd probably go for it (can be a tough call). The only thing you'll need now is a new exhaust and paint job, then you'll really be cruising with power and style.

The other thing is price, $3500 is a lot for the car, and those kind of options don't ususally get their money back for the seller. I'd like to see an old GT for $2500, but I'd probably go $3000 for this one and if you really want it take the $3500. I say it's worth it for the car, just not market price. Tell him you want it painted and maybe he knows someone who can do it cheap or will knock off a few bucks for you.
Good Luck!

One more thing, where are you located?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh he also said he hollowed out the cat, and i cant remember the exhaust system he had, but there was one there.
i am in north carolina.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
$3500 is way too much, especially if the body looks like shit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't think it's that bad if you plan on doing all the upgrades yourself anyway. A good exhaust will cost you about $500 alone, and then there's a whole lot of other mods. I'd try to drop him to $2500, and if he won't you just need to see how bad you want the car. Seems a lot of people are looking for GT's and aren't having much luck. And what would you get for $3500 instead? I don't think you'll get anywhere near the performance of a GT.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I want a 5-speed GT, i got an auto LX and love it. You said it yourself, newer engine with about 5000 miles? Modded like crazy, remember guys...this engine is much much stronger than you average engine. You have to put a bullet in its head to kill it, or in my case blow a head gasket at 154,000. $3500 is a bit much. Im going to keep looking for a 5-speed GT and i can't even drive a stick, I have just heard so many good things about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts