Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alrighty...I've noticed when I take my foot off the gas, the car wants to slow down fairly fast, without me braking...I've heard here that such a thing would be the rear calipers....soooo....assuming it is such, what am I looking at pricewise to get this fixed?

Is it wise to get some remanufactured calipers for a good price, purchase a Haynes manual, and put them in myself? Is it that easy? And, with the remanufactured ones, I've heard that all you need to do is regular self-maintenance every 6 months or so with proper grease/lube/oils etc to keep them good for a long time...any thoughts anyone?

-Ashley

ps: I'd like to thank you all, it seems I post sooo many problems here, and everyone always helps out...I dont know what I'd do without all you guys!

Update: A friend of mine, who is sorta knowledgeable about cars, pointed out that after driving...the rear wheels/breaks are not hot or anything, and that the noticeable slowing down could be my tranny or something else...which scares me....again...any thoughts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
ASH go for a spin and then when you stop see if the front brakes are warmer then the rear. You literally have to hop out right away and put your hands on the hubs. The front should be warmer then the rear, as they work more then the rear brakes. If you have bad brakes you'll notice either a longer braking distance or the brakes will lock up readily in a hard brake application. In your case they should lock up quickly. Do you hear any unusual grinding when you coast or have a hard time shifting?

·
Registered
269 Posts
$200 per caliper (labour included)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
geez that's expensive...I'd say let's hope that is not the calipers...but then it could be the tranny, even more expensive...I had the fluid flushed/changed about 2 weeks ago, and, once winter is over, getting a cooling unit put in for the tranny...its minus 20 here, i dont think i will need one too bad until summer :)

Also...no...its an ATX, so shifting isnt an issue...rough shift from 1st to 2nd, but i've been told thats normal...it is pretty rough tho..no unusual grinding...had the car about a month, havent used the e-brake...i could test by pulling the e-brake or jamming on the brakes when slowly moving...but...should it in fact be the calipers, and the lock up...then im out a car that can drive until well after xmas...

-Ashley

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just thought I would clarify. $200 that's also with damaged rotor. If they don't have to grind your rotor, u may get it done for 150 bucks ( the rebuilt caliper itself is around $100 or so). If you want, get a couple from Mike Hughes. He's on american "for sale" forum, nickname Hughes, and he'll send you a couple of used calipers for maybe US $30 bucks each. U may have to pay customs fees.

But first, obviously, u need to ensure exactly which parts u need.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...some wise people told me that alot of transmission issues are electrical...and said that I should reset my ECU by disconnecting the negative, and like pressing the brake down for about 10 seconds or so. Does anyone know if this will have any ill side effects, resetting the ECU? I would hate to do it and never have it fire up again...

-Ashley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts