Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...two main problems now:

First of all, both my lower ball joints have play in them, and i've heard this is a safety issue.

Second, my driver side boot is cracked wide open...dont know too much about what probs that can cause, but anyways...

which of those is more important to fix first? Money is really tight and I will have about $300 coming up, hopefully enough to fix at least one of these...which should I fix first??

On a side note, rear o2 sensor is bad, but aside from gas mileage I've heard this isnt too big a problem (seeing as i drive the car very little until at least february).

Any help boys?

-Ashley

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Depending where you are located i recommend that you contact msequence for the ball joints. He sells controll arms with ball joints and new bushings for $80ea.

If you do not know how long the cv (constant velocity joint) boot has been spit open it would be best just to replace the whole axle, contaminants could have gotten into the joint. NAPA has a life time warranty on their axles plus i get garage prices from them ;) but this should cost around $130 after taxes once you return the core back.
Because you are dealing with the drivers side the axle goes right into the transmission case a seal must be replaced, this sells for about $10. Also your transmission fluid might have to be topped up, or you could go right ahead with a flush and have new fluid put in.

One more thing, when a you are dealing with this area of the car you will have to unbolt the end link/stabilizer link, if these rust up they are almost impossible to remove without damaging them. These are a dealership item from fors or mazda. Ford charges about $80ea after taxes, you must also buy the M10x1.25 nuts but these can be bought at Canadian Tire for $0.79ea. I don't know how much Mazda charges for the links.

Running the engine with a bad O2 sensor over time will probably ruin the catalyst, because you will not be driving the vehical often till february you should be fine.

Remember these prices are just for the parts, labour can easily cost $80hr at a shop.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the prices stingray!! But...either way, I can probably only afford one of these fixes...o2 sensor aside, what sould I fix first? the ball joints or the boot/axle?

-Ashley

G

·
if i were you id do the ball joints first!! I know from first hand exp. i hed one completly seperate doing 70 km/h n it pulled my axel out of the tranny n put the axel through my oil pan! do the ball joints!!!!trust me

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah....the issue seems to be between my 6's safety and my own safety...crap, that's a tough choice! *sigh* i guess my safety first...

btw, I've heard replacing the ball joints is a bad idea, and should replace the whole control arm...since cash is tight, is it possible to just replace the ball joints, and have them hold up and last?

-Ashley

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey..

If you do the bal joint ONLY and not the whole control arm your looking at eventually doing the whole control arm in less than a year cause the welded ball joints DON'T LAST... ask anyone (including me) that had only the joints replaced....

It's worth it to get teh WHOLE control arm done... there is one problem though. You might have to get teh stab link blown off with a tourch cause mine were impossible to take off. Those are $40-65 CDN each.

So that's $40-65 each stab link,
approx $80 per control arm
= 65 + 65 + 80 + 80 => $290 before labour....

I had this job done last month. I tried to do it myself but couldn't blow the last nut off the stab link so had to put it all together and had a shop blow off the nut and end up charging me $150 in labour.

If you in TOronto I can recommend a few places that wil do it for about $100 in labour if you have all the parts.

As for the boot....I think you can get a temp slip on type... I think, I'll look around but try crappy tire for a special order...

hope that helps...

Tommy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts