Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: :help: I have a perplexing problem. I will try and explain as best I can.

I turn on the left signal and the cruise light flashes at the same rate. As this is happening the tach bounces up on every flasher pulse. The indicator light in the dash for the left signal becomes dimly lit and right flashes with each pulse......

And the same happens for the right.

The cruise light stays on afterwards and the gas guage slowly goes towards empty.

So I've been under the dash and it looks like it is stock, not like someone screwed it up with a bad remote starter install or anything....

Anyone have any ideas.....?:help:

Thanks,

D

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Wow, now that is a strange one. My first inclination is that the instrument clusters are not grounded well so current is recirculating through the various circuits inside of it and causing the strange behavior. All of the stuff in the cluster is tied to a common ground node, so if that node is not connected to anything, the current will find its way out wherever it can (i.e. the cruise control module)

I'm looking at the schematics right now, they show two ground connections for the instrument cluster. One looks to be on top of the transaxle (just under the VAF boot) and the other looks to be in the passenger (right side) of the passenger compartment, up above the blower motor along the right front side of the engine compartment. I would give both of these ground points a look and see that they're securely connected.

The ground up on the right side of the passenger compartment, near the blower motor, seems most likely to me to be the culprit. But check that ground on the transaxle as well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the ground on the transaxle side black with a red stripe?
And what colour would the passenger side one be?

Other thing about the problem is when using the cruise, it holds speed for a second or two when set. Then coasts, and then resumes. Does this twice then cuts out all together.

Your suggestion about the ground issue is more than likely the cause. Now it is just amatter of finding it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
IIRC, there should only be one ground on the transaxle. I believe it is a black wire with a red stripe. As for the other ground, I couldn't tell you.

Electrical problems are a pain in the arse! I still havn't figured anything out with the highbeams on my car.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The manual shows that the first wire comes out of cluster as black/blue, but turns to solid black where it connects to the transaxle case, and the second wire is solid black all the way from cluster to where it connects to body in passenger footwell.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yeah, I believe you are correct magik. Silly me. After the 5 or 6 times I pulled a transmission on my car, you'd think I had everything memorized by now. You're right though, now that I think about it. On the automatic version, the ground to the transmission seems to be thicker than that of the MTX version. Anyway, good luck! Hope the ground is your problem.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, was late last night, tried looking and couldn't find it. But will go looking now.

As for the turbo timer, no.

Thanks guys, will let u know.

D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved!!! Ground was disconnected on the transmission. Looked there specifically because prob was only now around when driving. I had figured it was static elec from tranny when driving. Anyway there it was, the one connection not bolted down....

Thanks to all who had input.

D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts