Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggested using silcon spray lubricant on the window guides to make the mechanism work better. Well I did this and it works great. I also lubed my sunroof mechanism and it slides really fast now - awesome. But the best was doing my door hinges and latches. It barely requires any force at all to shut my doors now. They click shut very lightly like a new car with a high quality feel.
I used STP Silicon Spray in the red can. You guys should check it out. I used to use WD-40 on everything but this is way better.
However the sunroof still doesn't tilt whithout me pushing up on it. It comes really close to tilting on it's own (it will do it if it's not quite closed all the way. But otherwise I still have to push it up with my hand. I think the tilt thing is just worn so the motor isn't getting enough leverage to start the tilt. I've gotta give it a little help and then the motor does it fine. Oh well my car has been this way since 97k mi.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Did you use it for the door lock cylinders as well? If so, How well did that work?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't, because you'd need a little tube to spray through. But I use WD-40 on those (comes with a little tube you can stick into the cylinder), and that works good.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
i actually did the same thing, i went out and bought a can of prestone silicone spray and used the entire can on every nook and cranny of my window (i.e glides, motor, beads etc) and it worked a little bit better...later i used a can of liquid wrench on it and its starting to make some progress. i think the problem with my window is that the silicone beads that go up in down in the power window motor are "kinked" sort of like when a garden hose has a kink and no water gets though, thus causing an obnoxious grinding noise as the window tries to go up...so now knowing that the beads in the window are kinked whats the best thing to do now? I think its pretty safe to say at this point i have the crappiest 1st generation power windows...at least i can brag about something...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, at least I'm not alone on the sunroof problem. Mine will tilt sometimes without help, and sometimes not. Usually not. And when I close it from being open, it won't tilt up unless I push on it.
At least it slides, it could be worse. I think I will try some silicone spray, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guides for the tilting mechanism are plastic. I think they just wear over time due to lack of lubrication. If any of you people actually have a tilter that works good be sure sure to lube it up so it stays that way! :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The sunroof can be adjusted so that it will open/close again. Be sure to lube the tracks also.

There are two guides that tell the glass when to stop moving forward and back each has a adjustment screw, then there is a screw on each side that allows the window to tilt higher or lower. This sets how well the seal fits when the window is in the down position. If you motor is still working fine you should have no problems with this.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks dude I'll have to check that out. I never noticed that info in my mazda manual. hmmm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts