Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd post what I did to my stock 6 speaker system to make it sound better. I was initially disappointed with the 'upgraded' 6-speaker stereo offered on the LS so I made the following modifications:

Added a Pioneer GM-X572 amplifier (now superceded by GM-X552 I believe) in a closed box with a Pioneer 10" sub. The amp accepts high level input so I ran feeds from the rear speakers into the amp. The sub faces the rear seats from in the trunk and sounds noticeably better with the seats down. I used this setup for about 8 months then got annoyed with the fact I could only turn the factory stereo up to about 1/2 volume without getting a considerable amount of 'curdling' or buzzing from the rear speakers. So I added 150 uF capacitors inline on the door speakers and 200 uF caps on the rear speakers to peel off the low frequencies (note, they are still all original 5X7), and this made a -world- of difference (by the way, I technically should have put the 150 uF caps on the back speakers as they were the biggest culprits to begin with but I really couldn't tell the difference between the two ratings).

Anyways, this is just a note to those of you who haven't done any modifications to your stock stereo, and you, like me, think it really really sucks to begin with. These mods cost me less than $600 (Canadian) and an afternoon and it sounds FAR better than before. I'm not much of an audiophile but this definately works for me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
why didnt you just turn the bass all the way down on your speakers? if you have stock speakers you should not need an external amplifier to power them, so just use the head unit for them and send only highs and use the amp for the sub in the trunk to get only lows? just a suggestion

·
Registered
488 Posts
Actually the caps are a better idea because of where the bass control is set on factory radios. Most of the time it is centered around 100 Hz, which is going more in to the mid-bass range. The stock speakers are well able to handle information in this range but it is the frequencies lower than this that start to cause the problems. By using the caps he is passively filtering the lower frquencies out without removing information that the subs aren't playing and that really should be reproduced by the main speakers for better imaging and soundstage. For a budget build up it is the best way to go. What you want to try to do it get the sound the best it possibly can be without touching the tone controls and then use them for the final minor adjustments. This way you have a good sounding system that isn't band-aided with processor tweaks, it is actually a good sounding system naturaully.

Damn, that was a lot.;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts