Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, The stock setup has the casstte/radio in one spot and the CD deck in another spot just below it.
from what I understand you can get an after market radio or a cassette or a cd player. Now if I replace the tape, will I have no radio controls? or vice versa? what if I replace the CD, will I have two different radio controls? I think there is something rather obvious that Im just not quite understanding here... I do want to have both a cassette and CD player.. but I dont want to have to buy two expensive decks for this. Is there decks that have cassette and radio in one, and still run the stock CD off of it? I dunno.. please help..

lates :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just about every aftermarket CD (or.... :V tape, ugh excuse me) head unit is a tuner (radio) as well. The only exceptions tend to be extremely high-end ($1000+US competition pieces). Rip that factory crap outta there!

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm

so youre saying.. loose the cassette, and get a CD/radio tuner deck replacement? but what about all the open spaces after I do that?

I suppose I would be willing to part with my cassette if neccessary, But I use it for my minidisc player and my portable mp3 player.. thoughts?

Lates

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Rufnek69 said:
Now if I replace the tape, will I have no radio controls? or vice versa? what if I replace the CD, will I have two different radio controls?
i'm not a audio techie with all that fancy vocabulary, but i think your CD player "plays" through your radio, so your stock CD player can't work without your radio/tape deck. (do you have a volume control on your CD player? don't think so, right?) i bet you probably only have one set of wires leading into the main head unit; if you buy another radio/tape deck, you could splice all your wires to get both units to work. but why would anyone want to do that?
Is there decks that have cassette and radio in one, and still run the stock CD off of it?

sure. but you'll probably have to get that stupid FM modulator thingie, which allows you to play your CDs on an FM station (like 88.7). this is extra cost, so i would suggest what BOWDWN suggested: rip out the factory stuff and start anew.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another idea....

Here's a thought: Buy a replacement aftermarket Cassette player and then buy a 2nd Din CD player. Kenwood offers two: the KDC-D300 and KDC-D301. This is designed as a 2nd Din component, that way you don't have to loose the cassette player. Check it out on the Crutchfield site

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You should be able to get a cassette/CD combo unit and have no problem using any of it, including radio. If you decide not to get cassette/CD combo then just get a CD player and any professional stereo installer can put in a fake cover plate for the hole that is left. Doesn't look bad either. I have one. Or you can get a graphic equalizer or something for the hole but you shouldn't need one with today's equipment.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
word..

thanks yo...

Ima gonna look into it somemore...

thanks

LAtes :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why not just buy a CD player and put in where your stock Tape/radio is now. Then rip the stock CD player out and order the plastic cubby hole that the 4cly (and other non stock CD player equipped LS's) have. Its comes in handy for smokes and shit! and they'll be no holes in your dash.

·
Registered
444 Posts
or (if you're cheap like me...) do as rettro said. i think the pocket is the best way to go. no messing around with the configuration of the old setup (which is pretty sh!tty, am i right) and you can get exactly the deck you want. plus the bonus of a new place to hold your stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts