Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning on doing my O2 sensors this weekend. it's the biggest job i've done on a car so far, so i'm new at this.

the last step on the list is to torque the sensors to around 25 lbs/foot. i've got a 3/8" ratcheting torque wrench. how the hell do you use a socket on something with a wiring harness coming right out the back of it?? do i have to go find an open ended torque wrench (there's such a thing?)

thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sort of

You can attach what is called a "crow's foot". It is simply a open wrench end that has a ratchet drive on the end. We use tham in the Navy, and I am sure you should be able to find one at any big tool store (Sears, etc.)

·
Registered
806 Posts
They do make special sockets also. They have the side cut out on one side for the wire harness to fit through. Good luck using a torque wrench though, both sensors are in pretty tight spaces. I just try to tighten the sensor good, but not too tight. I just did my front sensor today. It helps to have someone turn the harness when you are trying to thread the new sensor.

G

·
word of advice, even though you don't need to for the front o2 sensor, I would suggest you go at it from the bottom. It's easier. Jack the car up and loose the screws for the plastic piece.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree after completing the job from the top it looked like the job would have been a little easier from the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts