Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told to do this by a judge while i was competing in an iasca sq show........

all you do is go to kragens ,,pepboys or any automotive store,,, and pick up an automotoive grade 2gauge battery cable,, for the ground.. the 2gauge is equivalent to an audio grade 4gauge,,,, this will indeed provide that extra power needed,,,,, dont understand how but the judges bth said that the power comes from the ground not the positive cable,,,,,,,,

so take it for what it is worth..... but it works great,,, i was playing all bass music tonight while the lights were on and the car running,,, and never did the lights dim the way it used to,,,, also to give a lil info on my midbass to sub system,,, total of 160 amps max pull,,, 40 amps from the us acoustics 4080 which is bridged into 2channels and running the midbass drivers... the t03 2.250 tru technology is a 250 w x 2 amp with a max pull of 120 amps,, the amp gives out about 1200w max wired 2ohm bridged,, for my image dynamics idmax 12",,,,,

cant wait to play somemore bass music.....

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Voltage is a measure of potential power vs. a ground reference. The better the ground, the higher the potential. That's why I always recomend upgrading the alternator wires and the bettery chassis ground - it does make a significant difference, I've seen better than .5 volt increases at the battery terminal by simply upgrading wires.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sweet little bit of info J. Ill have to do it tomorrow and see if i can get rid of my 1/2 far cap. Yeah, yeah, i know that i have not posted the pics of the set up that i have now. I still cant find the cable for the vid cam to get em uploaded. I'll keep looking and if i cant find it i'll just take pics with a reg cam and have them put it on a cd for me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is what i do since my usb port doesnt work,,, never was installed,,,,,,,,, go to walmart and hand them the memory card,, and they can put everything onto a disc for you,,, and then you just create a page on yahoo,, and upload them their for all of us to share.......

actually i need to take some pics,, might do this today after i wake up... i work nights...

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a few feet of 0 gauge wire laying around and I got another power ring, I hooked it up and wow! Now I can play my music as loud as I want at a stop light and the rpm never dips even a little, it used to go down a bit with big bass. Didn't expect that much of a difference

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
dont understand how but the judges bth said that the power comes from the ground not the positive cable,,,,,,,,
Well....while it's true that the electrons (negative charge) flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, this is actually equivalent (in terms of physics) to positive charge flowing from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. Positive charge flow is the usual convention when referring to "current" flow.

Physics lesson aside, you still need a low resistance path on both the positive AND negative side of the battery. You can't simply do something like put a 0 gauge wire on the negative side and a keep tiny 16 gauge on the positive...you would have a bottleneck on the positive side with higher resistance. The charge flows through a closed circuit, so all paths must be as small resistance (bigger wire) as possible to minimize voltage drop. When you are grounding your negative wire in your trunk area, you are using the car's body as a big "wire," with the current flowing thru the body and then to another negative cable which is connected to the battery. So make sure to upgrade BOTH negative wires; under the hood and in the trunk.

My point is, the statement "the power comes from the ground not the positive cable" is not exactly true. There needs to be a return path, whether you're talking about negative, or positive charge flowing. Upgrading the alternator to battery "hot" wire is also a good idea.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I posted this a while ago I had a problem with dimming lights after putting two caps put a 4 gauge audio wire on my ground and my dropping idle and dimming lights were gone. I also put one on my engine ground strap later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts