Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've used them on 12 and 14 awg wire. I've never found them to fry or anything. What are you tapping the ignition for?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not a fan of soldering over head.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for tapping in to the ignition wires?
Why are you not a fan??

Get a mini torch, wrap the wires together nicely, heat up the exposed wire, and dab your solder on it. Don't keep the flame on it while soldering. If the wire is hot enough, the solder will wick into the connection. I'm sure you know that already, but, if you're worried about drips, just don't put too much solder on. Too much will drip, just apply solder until the connection looks tinned. It may be thin on the outside, but if hot enough, the connection inside will be solid.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you not a fan??

Get a mini torch, wrap the wires together nicely, heat up the exposed wire, and dab your solder on it. Don't keep the flame on it while soldering. If the wire is hot enough, the solder will wick into the connection. I'm sure you know that already, but, if you're worried about drips, just don't put too much solder on. Too much will drip, just apply solder until the connection looks tinned. It may be thin on the outside, but if hot enough, the connection inside will be solid.
Flux cored solder spatters hotness. That is why I'm not a fan of soldering over head.

If you get the wires too hot, the shielding will melt. I would imagine this is the same for OE ignition wiring. I doubt that after market remote start harnesses are even up to OE standards with their shielding. So if you can solder thin wires without the torch/iron/gun on it, I would suspect you've cooked the insulation nearby.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
There is a way that will work extremely well, but let me see if I can explain it. If not, PM me and I'll try there.

First, take the wire you want to use for ignition and splice it. With the wire spliced and the bare copper showing, divide the copper strands into two halves, leaving a gap between them. Now, take the wire you want to use to tap into the ignition wire with and spin it into a point with your fingers. Take this piece and feed it in between the divided copper strands and then begin to wrap it around them. This in turn makes somewhat of a knot in the wiring. The chances of it coming apart are about as low as solder giving out.

Here's a photo (MS Paint FTW!)...Hope this helps as my craptastic visual aid. My apologies, I'm not as good as Chef is on this!

After feeding the new wire (blue wire in diagram) through the ignition wire (red wire), you want to wrap the stripped end of the blue wire around the divided, spliced section of the red wire. Then lie the blue wire along side the red wire and wrap the two up extremely tight with good electrical tape.

Did that help?

Reactions: Fastest95PGT

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a way that will work extremely well, but let me see if I can explain it. If not, PM me and I'll try there.

First, take the wire you want to use for ignition and splice it. With the wire spliced and the bare copper showing, divide the copper strands into two halves, leaving a gap between them. Now, take the wire you want to use to tap into the ignition wire with and spin it into a point with your fingers. Take this piece and feed it in between the divided copper strands and then begin to wrap it around them. This in turn makes somewhat of a knot in the wiring. The chances of it coming apart are about as low as solder giving out.

Here's a photo (MS Paint FTW!)...Hope this helps as my craptastic visual aid. My apologies, I'm not as good as Chef is on this!

After feeding the new wire (blue wire in diagram) through the ignition wire (red wire), you want to wrap the stripped end of the blue wire around the divided, spliced section of the red wire. Then lie the blue wire along side the red wire and wrap the two up extremely tight with good electrical tape.

Did that help?
That sounds like a decent idea I4. :tup: I might try that if I ever get around to this project.

/thread

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I used to use that method a lot in areas you couldn't reach to solder. I know Mobile Audio teachers that use that method as well.

Let me know if I can explain it better or anything. You know where to reach me.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts

I use those to tap my ignition wire, there are few different kind, get the yellow one, they are made for tapping thick wire and will handle the high current.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
solder or crimp will work fine. solder looks better :p crimp looks like ass

i soldered mine with a soldering iron. no need for a torch. just peel back a little of the casing and do it the way in the diagram above and hold that soldering iron there, dab the solder on the wire and you're good to go. all you gotta do is tin your soldering tip, maybe dab some flux on the wires if they're dirty. easiness

1 - 12 of 12 Posts