Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Some second gens do have 4WS this thread has an excert from my UK owners manual.
4WS

P.S. mine doesn't

·
Registered
59 Posts
4ws was standard on 1st and 2nd gen MX6s in Australia from 1989-1994, it was standard on top spec 2nd Gen MX6s from 1994-1997 and optional on lower spec at the same time.

It turns the steering on the rear wheels by about 1/6th of what the front wheels turn. It reduces torque steer to almost zero, makes parking a real dream, and when it corners - it is real fun.

Below 80km/h the wheels move opposite to the front ie.
\\
//
Above 80km/h they move in tandem with the front ie
//
//

If it ever developed a problem with the rear steering it locks them straight ahead and it becomes a normal 2ws car.

Trevor

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
It would be much cheaper to just buy one. I know a few members have 4WS steering models here in the US.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To make a US spec 4WS you will need a new front steerin rack with output for 4ws, front to rear steering linkage, rear steering rack, new rear suspension frame, electrics and hydraulics to make it work. Certainly not worth it. The rear rack alone would cost about $2000USD to buy new from mazda, let alone all the other hardware. You may be able to find all the parts 2nd hand, but as to wether it will work or not , who knows.

Better off buying it already installed on an MX.

Trev

·
Registered
24 Posts
4ws

well, then the next step would be...how would i find one? are they all right drive? are they available in the US or do i have to get one shipped over? Cause right now i have more money invested in my 93 then is really worth it, and it is an automatic to boot. Since my tranny is starting to go(along with other things at over 100,000), i had considered doing a manual swap, but my car also is lacking antilock brakes, so i came to the conclusion it would be cheaper to buy another used mx-6 with what i want, and then just swap out my klze and bolt-ons to that car and have a all the core parts i'd ever need!...so now that i know about this i might as well go all out and find a 4ws as well...shame they don't make awd...so any help on where to start looking would be great!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
4WS common here

I Live in New Zealand and own a 4WS, most of the models here are 4WS. In Fact I havent seen a 2WS. The models here are known as Jap imports as they are pre-owned in Japan. And yep they drive really well, can turn on a dime and very little body roll when cornering fast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First port of call would be Mazda USA or Mazda Canada to find out if they ever imported the 4ws version.

If not you may have to go to Europe to import one, which would not be economical. If they are available in the US then it is just a case of shopping around.

All of your options should swap straight over, their is no other major difference, your KLZE computer should already know about 4ws.

Trevor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts