Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Any of you have a problem with tire hop when you slam the gas down in 1st with the clutch already engaged? Reason is cause mine does that and it's nerve racking, needless to say kinda jolting. I really don't have the best set of rubber on, just Yoko's AVS. What can I do to make it stick with out hopping skips. Does the stock 6 have enough power to spin the wheels without using the clutch GOING straight now (not turning), or did my exhaust add a few ponies to the wheels? I never put it on a dyno before and after... Any inpout appreciated! l8r

G

·
0 Posts
I've spun the wheels going straight in 1st gear w/o peeling the clutch. I've got a stock v-6 with phenolics, and was using Pirelli p7000s.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Yes the stock 6 can spin in first in a straight line with the clutch already "engaged".

Not what you need during an attemped kill and a real pain in the Ar$e when wet. My boots are not up to much either.

G

·
0 Posts
Just ease the gas down and you won't have that problem ;)

But that's what happens when you have 160 ft lbs torque on a lightweight FWD car with low grip tires. If I wanted to I could get my '91 LX to break loose a little bit. It was bad being stopped on an incline in the rain. Too easy to break'em loose on those cheap tires I had when wet. I just wonder what my new LS holds for me! So far the Goodyear Eagle GT II's have kept good traction for me though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like I'll have a real problem when I add more power. This is where a good driver comes to play... how to make a quick start without losing time in tire spin/hop... or softer clutch release... I'm sure I'll wear out my yoko's perfecting the skill... ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey man, just stomp the gas when youre getting ready to take off and let the clutch out just enough to where you start going and sort of hold it until you feel the car is steady...it sounds like it takes too long for a race, but really when you get down to it, its not that long and it works pretty good. i spent about a week on it when i first got the car like a couple months ago cuz the tire hopping was bothering me like crazy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You can actually eliminate some of the wheel hop by putting firmer eninge mounts on the car. Some of the hop is due to the engine rocking when you hit the gas hard. You can either get firmer rubber ones form MazdaSpeed, poly inserts from R.R.-racing or solid metal mounts form Travis Williams. Both the last two can be gotten hold of on Probetalk. I've personally got the solid mounts from Travis but that is becasue they were the only thing available that didn't cost what Mazda Speed wanted. Just be warned that it will add some vibration to the car, especially at idle but it really firms up the feel when driving.:D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah learn how th "feather" the clutch. and lowering stopped my tire hop. if you dont want to lower, use a strut bar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
clutch...

Actually my clutch may be slipping. Seemed like it took forever to engage in 2nd, right now I have a bigger problem with it missing.... EVERYTHING is new as far as the ignition... new distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs but still the same dam problem.... might be the timing, but it seems to kick in full power now and then...no oil in the well, unless a new one popped up... the car shutters upon acceleration and is only RPM dependent... nothing in the trans or axles... something about the engine isn't right... strange

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: clutch...

Gene/=/Splicer said:
Actually my clutch may be slipping. Seemed like it took forever to engage in 2nd,
you probably just toasted it a lil on the launch...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts