Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently a Cavalier Z24 owner, i have been driving by a bright red MX6 for days now..
the dealer finally put a price on the windsheild, so i went and checked it out (because it was in my price range)
anyways long story short, i take ownership on Wednesday Nov 5/03. It's Immaculate. Unfortunatly it has 300,000 KM on it (I'm in canada by the way) but this car runs like brand new.
anyway i just wanted to introduce myself, i'm sure you'll see me around if this site proves to be a valuable resource ;)

i decided to take some pictures today after work, and i'll share them with you.

I'll also post a picture of my last car, but please dont mock it because it's a cavalier, or whatever, if you dont have anything nice to say about it i dont wanna hear it ;) this car was and is my baby till i get settled with the mx6.

I do have a few questions
the model i bought is
1993 MX6 Mystere(spelling) LS V6 5 speed
thast all i know sorry, as i said im a cavalier (Jbody) guy since i started with cars a few years ago.
my questions:

1: what is the stock HP/Torque rating for these cars
2: How many miles (i'll convert to KM's) can i expect out of the v6 before it's completly dead (stock)
I would like to beef up the motor in spring, but i dont want to add power to a weak bottom end
3: whats the average 1/4 time for a stock mx6 5 speed v6
4: Anything i should be worried about with this paticular model year? options, powertrain, electrical etc.
5: if im not mistaking this is the first year of the 2G (Second Generation?) was there any bugs in the change over? with the cavalier i know there were problems in the first model years after a change

thanks for any info anyone can provide.. links, topics etc..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
slayer1011 said:
my questions:

1: what is the stock HP/Torque rating for these cars
2: How many miles (i'll convert to KM's) can i expect out of the v6 before it's completly dead (stock)
I would like to beef up the motor in spring, but i dont want to add power to a weak bottom end
3: whats the average 1/4 time for a stock mx6 5 speed v6
4: Anything i should be worried about with this paticular model year? options, powertrain, electrical etc.
5: if im not mistaking this is the first year of the 2G (Second Generation?) was there any bugs in the change over? with the cavalier i know there were problems in the first model years after a change

thanks for any info anyone can provide.. links, topics etc..
1. 164hp and about the same for torque... can never remember anymore.
2. the v6 can go for a long time if properly maintained. I'd say about 200,000 miles before it plops on its face.
3. average q/t time for a STOCK 2nd gen is around mid 15s. It's official time is a 15.7.
4 & 5 (b/c they are the same question):

The rear calipers on the 93/94 models tend to sieze and usually need to be replaced with 95+ calipers. Not a big deal though. Also, the disty likes to crack on the older ones. Same fix as above should work just fine. As for more generic problems, the CV boots on this car like to rip ALL the time. Just be aware and ALWAYS keep a watch. Use mobil 1 synthetic oil for the car, as this will reduce HLA noise which a common problem too.

As for the weak bottom end comment, these cars are not too bad, but don't push your luck. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AWESOME! thanks for the quick reply.. i guess i can expect about 100,000 more KM's out of this engine (that would bring it to near 200,000 miles..
hope it can last that long ;) this car look like it was maintained... it's mint...

also it was traded to a BMW dealer, so it's not like they didnt have the money to maintain it.. (i also found out it was a 1 owner car)
not bad for the price im paying (i think)

again thanks.

Also are the calapers a direct bolt on? or will some kinda modification be needed?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Calipers are a direct bolt on. And not that expensive. And them failing is not a certainty, just something to keep in the back of your mind as a common issue.
The advantage of the 93 is the OBD1 ECU. Less 02 sensors to go bad. Responds slightly better to mods. And is also KLZE compatible should you decide to swap engines if yours goes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Good buy, defenitely an upgrade from that; no offense, american POS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts