Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ford Probe (1989 GT) slips out of 5th gear. It happened right after changing the bushings for the shifter mechanism (bar from lever to trans). Is there some type of adjustment mechanism? Or should i change the ball inside of the gear lever/selector? I'm not suspecting the transmission itself, since it has low miles and was mostly driven in 3/4th gear (little to none highway use).

Even though not an mx6, it shares the entire platform with it (and 626). So I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Furtermore, I'm having a lot of trouble finding parts in general. Does anyone have some tips for finding parts? Maybe dealers?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Usually when these transmissions slip out of 5th gear it's wear in the 5th gear synchro assembly and 5th gear shift fork.

However if this only started happening after you changed the change rod bushings, they could be binding, keeping 5th from completely engaging or pulling the shifter out of 5th.
I recommend greasing the bushings and bolts both at the shifter and transmission and changing whatever fluid is in the transmission to 80w 90 gear oil.

There are no adjustments that can be made to the shift assembly.

Finding parts for these cars is getting harder, I use diagrams from Partsouq.com to find complete factory mazda part numbers and search the internet using part numbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually when these transmissions slip out of 5th gear it's wear in the 5th gear synchro assembly and 5th gear shift fork.

However if this only started happening after you changed the change rod bushings, they could be binding, keeping 5th from completely engaging or pulling the shifter out of 5th.
I recommend greasing the bushings and bolts both at the shifter and transmission and changing whatever fluid is in the transmission to 80w 90 gear oil.

There are no adjustments that can be made to the shift assembly.

Finding parts for these cars is getting harder, I use diagrams from Partsouq.com to find complete factory mazda part numbers and search the internet using part numbers.
Thanks! I will try that. The transmission fluid has recently been freshened up, could that have something to do with it?

When these synchros fail, is it around high mileage? Mine only has around 110k miles, and like I said hasn't been driven in 5th that much. Is it something that's easy to do or pretty difficult? I've only ever gone as far as replacing clutches so I don't have a lot of experience with transmissions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts