Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I installed Ze cams in my 95 Ls.Now its all back together and the car starts and idles fine.But the acceleration its really sluggish.Makes alot of noise just dont go anywhere.Any ideas?There are no Codes.I also installed Outlaw Engineering Thermo Spacers.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
So its managed to start now Jay ? .. am i right in thinking you had a problem getting it to actually start at first ? .. if so, what did you do to get it running ? may have a part in your current problem...

So you have the cams inline with yellow dot on inside, and both pullies point to thier correct positions when the crank is at TDC on No. 1 compression stroke (determined by ensuring the rotor arm in the dissy is pointing to no.1 lead connection) ... did you then do your ignition timing ? by putting jumper between TEN + GND and ensuring the marker on the crank pully is at 10 degrees ? you must disable the pcm when doing this with the jumper to set a base advancement, then let the PCM do its bit. Another culprit of pretty good idle and then nothing on acceleration is a slack drive belt ... check its tension is within specified limits.

Let us know what above you have done/checked m8ee.

Cheers .. Oddy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey oddy.Well to get it started I found that hte mark on my Sprocket for the Crank actually doesnt have a timing mark.I took a wooden Dowel put it in the #1 cylinder and turned the crank till it hit the highest point.Then I lined the rear Cam Pulley up with the two dots on it to the two ledges on the valve cover,Then I lined the yellow dot on the front pully up to the ledge to the left ledge below the VC.Then I put the timing belt on and she started right up.I did not do ignition timing.Mainly because I took the plastic covers off the side of the motor so I could not make marks or know what to do.
It idles fine.Its just really sluggish.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would there not be a mark on my Crank sprocket?I alligned the two dots on the rear pulley to the two ledges that hang down from the VC then I alligned the One dot on the front pulley to the ledge that is right below the VC on the left side.
The crank i timed by putting a wooden dowel in the #1 cylinder and turning it was right at its highest point.Any ideas? wouldnt one tooth make it idle funky or not start at all?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
ok Jay, think we might be getting a bit confussed with the yellow dots :) .

So lets ensure we are all talking about the same yellow dots.. The only yellow dots i'm referring to are the ones on the inside of each cam gear that you can only see with the Cam cover off. When you turn the cams those two dots should meet together, that ensures the cams are opening and closing the valves correctly in relation to each other, check each bank. Once they are set correctly, you then start to use the arrows on the two cam pully's, one has an L and the other an R next to them.. these have to be lined up with the marking on the camcovers. Once set, ensure you have no.1 cyl at TDC and the rotor arm in the dizzy is pointing to no.1 lead pont. Without moving any of them, now install the belt, adjust tensioners so that the belt has the correct amount of play. Now with a socket, rotate the crank pully twice and check all the marks still point to the right place. if so, your mechanical timing is correct. Re-fit cam covers, dizzy cap, jump TEN & GND and start the car, you then need a timing light connected to no.1 lead and set the timing to 10 on the metal plate next to the crank pully which should have a little groove in it. when set, tighten dizzy bolts, then check again in case you disturbed it doing the bolts. Switch off engine, remove jumper, start car again .. should be fine.

If there is anything in the above you have not done, let us know. If you can get any pictures of the crank pully and the cams aligned all the better...

We'll get it sorted.. Oddy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks oddy your alot of help man.Well.Ok yes the internal dots on the cam gears are corect they line up and fot to each other perfect.Ok I think I may have noticed one flaw.Ok staring at the waterpump side of the motor(PS) The R pulley is on the left and the L pulley on the right? Correct.Then on the Pulleys on the L pulley it has one yellow dot on it on the outside facing me.That dot I allign with the little ledge that sticks out right Below the VC right But the yellow dot I just noticed is about a tooth off of the arrow.It seems one pulley arrow lines up with a tooth the other one lines up with a notch.Which do i follow the yellow dot or the arrow? Then the R pulley has me confused.I was told to line it up with the two(non yellow) dots on the pulley with the two ledges sticking down from the Vc itself.Correct so far? As for the sprocket for the crank there is no markings on it there is a line but when i put it on that line the motor is nowhere near TDC. besides that line there is no other markings on the crank.SO instead i used a wooden dowel and put it in the cylinder and turned the crank till the dowel went to its highest point.
Hows this sound guys.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how else can i check TDC o nthe crank? since there is no mark

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
okay.. so the cams are aligned.

The pullys are on the right cams ( L & R)

Now do the yellow dots you speak of on the front of the pullys, are they in-line with the arrow that should be above the L & R ?? if not its the arrows you should be lining up with the points on the engine.
Open TBELT3.GIF that Einstien provided and look at the top of the right page.. the L cam arrow should point approx 11 o'clock to its mark... the R pully arrow to approx just above 9 o'clock..

Now your Crank pully has two belts on it, one is under the 10/TDC degree marker and one out side it.. seperating these belts is a ridge that runs just in front of the degree marker.. and in that ridge should be a little notch, this should line up with your TDC... if your saying the notch is no where near TDC when the cams are lined up, where is it, in degrees, in relation to the TDC marker ?
Again, take some pics if you can of your timing points you have the pully's set to.

Oddy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats probably where the prob lies.I lines it up to the yellow dots and one dot is off from the arrow ill go get to that now thanks alot odd your awesome and einstien

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Good going there oddy...
although most of that, if said to me, would sound like

blah blah blahblahblha. blah blah blah yellow dots. :E

I would karma you... but must spread it about more.
stop helping everyone so much :)

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Here ya go..

dots on back of camshaft gears should mate up together... pulleys are different L & R, but are same for both banks.. Although try to keep front and rear pulleys on the same banks they came from..

pulley marks should line up as shown.. timing belt pulley on crank should have a small v mark, which lines up with mark on engine..

I hope this sorts out the problem..

John

Reactions: Jay246

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Ah much clearer pics john.. nice one :tup:

And Russ.. sorry, cant do it, its in my blood :) , once i get my teeth in to something like this, it has to be put to bed ! I've followed this problem from the start when Jay first raised it in the 2nd gen forum and with a lot of interest as this is what i will be doing soon with my ZE cams, . Upto now he has gone from not sparking, to running, but not mechanically timed by the looks of things.. we will be victorious ! })

Plus we have to rise to wackyracers challenge thrown down in the sister thread in the 2nd gen forum... lets ave it !

Oddy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its running (again) lol...this time with a little more pep to its step.Still feels different might just be the new cams have different power ranges? loleither way im done for the night thanks to everyone for the help...

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Just an update, Jay caught me on Yahoo late last night to let me know his latest news, asked him to update thread but does not seem to have got around to it. Anyway, although the car idled a lot better after getting the cams timing aligned correctly, it was still a little lumpy, so he pulled each HT lead in turn and found when he took no.6 off, it made no difference ! He has found it is shorting out against the wall of the spark plug well ... he has done a temp fix whilst he sorts out a new lead..

JAY report back man... let us know whats happening when you get the lead replaced ... would still like to see some shots of this crank pully with no mark on it, and your your timing pionts too.

Oddy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts