Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 Mx-6, Ls 2.5L Automatic and it is sooooo slow starting off of the line. I need to change that. Can anyone tell me the best and quickest way to get that low end torque? Higher RPM's it's fine, but every time that it changes gears or right off of the line, it doesn't have that punch that I need to beat comparable cars.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Welcome to the world of Automatics.

I don't know of any mod other than a stall converter. It allows you to build up RPMs before the tranny is engaged. You can buy one set to whatever RPM you'd like-probably around 3000. You can turn them off an on so you can do your regular driving when you are not racing.

I don't know if they make them for your type of car, I just know you can buy them for other cars. I'm sure the labor would exceed the cost of the part.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Shift kits

You could probably get a shift kit installed also. Now that would be fun!!

It would peel out almost every time the tranny shifts. Just makes it shift hard and fast.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Automatics & Sports cars

Not to shoot anyone down. I'm sure that some of yall love automatics.

This is just my opinion:), but I would always want a standard with a sports car. However, if you were talking about a Corvette, or a Trans-am (think about 305 Hp on up mated to an auto) I could live with that. I would still prefer the standard.

My girlfriend had a 1996 Eclipse GS, fully loaded and all (non turbo), with the auto tranny. Now, I have to say, that that tranny was great for an auto. If you needed power, it would immediately down shift and take off. However, from a dead stand still, my 1986 totally Stock with 150k miles, Toyota Camry with a 1.8L 4 banger with a 5 speed would take it. Probably even if we ran while rolling about any speed. That Camry was a fun ass car. I sold it to my sister, who ran a red light and totalled it. Thinking back, I wish I never would have sold it. I also wish that I would have tricked it up a little. That was a really fun, and fast car. I would buy another one if I could find one that ran like it did.

·
Registered
202 Posts
chip

I'm sure you all have heard that the performance chips for our cars don't do much, which is true. However, they can help this problem with the auto tranny. Performace ECU's have the shift points reprogrammed, so it will hold on to the lower gear until higher rpm and will downshift when you want it to etc. There are a few chips made for our cars like Superchips(replaces factory ecu) and the venom chip(a piggy back style). It still won't feel like a 5 speed(glad I have a manual) but it should help some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts