Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes when i park the car somewhere and come back there is a small puddle under the front right side of the car, just below the radiator..
It has leaked out almost 1 litre over the past 4 months, i checked the top and bottom rad hoses and they are not damp underneath, i cannot see much of the rad, but from what is visible on the mx6 it is not wet, i believe it is leaking from the right side of the rad because it is damp underneath the car on that side when it does leak..
My question is, are there any smaller hoses that could be leaking that i cannot see with the splash guards on, or is there a crack somewhere, if it is a crack, how should i proceed?

fyi i changed my coolant about 7 months ago and i have a v6 5spd

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds like your waterpump if you ask me. It's a bitch job and took me and a friend over 6 hours to do (back when I had little tools and didn't know all that much). take off yoru timing belt cover and check the belt. If theres Antifreeze on the belt, it's the water pump. Also check the housing around the pump (it's right next to the motor mount).

This is all depending on which side of the car you consider right. The drivers side or the passenger side?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I recently found about 8 oz on the driveway and looked at the radiator. I could see coolant along the top right side of the radiator. I drove it to work and checked it after it sat awhile and no puddle. I dont understand it. I just keep an eye on the coolant level and guess I'll deal with it if it develops into a regular problem. You seem to have developed a regular problem if you've lost a litre. I would have the system pressure tested. It will show any problems before it takes a crap and cooks your engine. Good luck.

G

·
leaking antifreeze

i think what your problem is is the seal between the radiator and the plastic piece that is connected to it. i drive a 97 mx6LS v6 and i had the same problem i checked it out and it is 400 dollars because the only fix is a new radiator.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it could be the water pump since i didnt replace it when i did my timing belt last summer.. but it appears to be leaking further forward, under the radiator on the passenger side.. Im thinking it might be leaking from the plastic ends:mad: i didnt wanna have to replace the rad..

·
Banned
67 Posts
Possible Solution

93 MX6 KL03/KLZE swap-==- ive seen alot driving 190,000mi

On the 6's radiator, at the top right, there will be a black box with what appears to be a radiator cap on top. Its not nearly as friendly as the one attached to the engine as this one warns you not to remove it. Look all around this aperature. Mine had a teeeeny little crack in it along the back. The best way to test this device is to fill your car to the brim with antifreeze or even just water ([email protected]/engine), Go drive it around, get it nice and hot actually. Then immediately pull over and examine this box very closely with the brightest flashlight you can conjure up. Gas station spotlights did the trick for me. Leaving the engine running can be a bit of a distraction, but will aid you in finding the leak as pressure will be abundant in the system. When antifreeze is under pressure, it will literally spray out. I ignored mine as I didn't have the money at the time to fix the problem, and I'd never seen anything like it. Couple of weeks later I was on my way home from a ski trip and noticed at the bottom of the mountain that my temp needle was pegged out. Don't let this be you.

Next step in bettering yourself is to replace this beast if it is actually damaged. The part is called the "air seperator" and/or "air seperation tank." Do not allow your dealer to order the "air seperation resevior" as mine was ignorant enough to not know the difference even though I specifically told them the color of this object is black. Duh. Costed me 65$ and took about 10 minutes to replace. Also, in response to radiator issues, aftermarket radiators can be found online at much discount.

CarPartsWholesale Website - MX6 V6 Radiator

That one is under $110 USD. Unfortunately, the seperation tank likely doesn't come with the radiator, and an aftermarket tank is rather scarce to come by. But, its relatively inexpensive even when purchased from a dealer. Hope this helps ya, SilverLS.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like my problem is the water pump.. today there was about a litre of antifreeze on the garage floor when i pulled my car out to warm it up.. I also heard a knocking on the belt side of the engine, so i opened it up, saw some antifreeze at the bottom of the timing covers, checked underneath and it was steadily dripping, so ive decided its not a good idea to drive my car..

G

·
Leaky Antifreeze

Your radiator is leaking. I had the same problem with my 95. There is a rubber gasket between the the metal and plastic parts of your radiator. Over time that gasket goes bad and causes your radiator to leak. ABout a $300 fix unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, i took my car in to get the water pump replaced, i would do it myself but i dont have a heated garage! Found a really good price though, my friends cousins own a shop and they are doing it for $320CAN, pump is included in that price!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts