Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,692 Posts

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
That's pretty neat Fredio. Know anyone who's tried it out?

Their prices for the "expensive wideband harness" lists for about half the price at the website they mention in the PDF. But probably still worthwhile to pay for at least the harness if you don't have one from another device already.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
sucks it has no gauge, or doesnt come with a case. otherwise, not a bad product

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I bought one on the 1st, still hasn't arrived yet. I think the guy might be in Canada, so that might explain the delay in shipment.

As far as gauge goes, it does have LEDs for individual major AFR points. Granted, this isn't great, but it is better than nothing.

There's a slightly more expensive version of this board which does have a display.

I'll post up once I get it tested, probably won't be for a while.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for lack of attention to the thread :-/

Alan is a good bloke, but he is a bit slack shipping wise sometimes. He definitely won't rip you off though, no chance of that.

I think the lack of case and display is intentional and to allow flexibility. After all, the types to buy this are going to be DIY types. If you haven't seen the thread on his forum about interesting display ideas, do. There is one inside the rear view mirror visible through the glass and other strange stuff.

I have a couple of JAW kits here that I am yet to build and use but no NAW to play with just yet.

Fred.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Sorry for lack of attention to the thread :-/

Alan is a good bloke, but he is a bit slack shipping wise sometimes. He definitely won't rip you off though, no chance of that.
Unfortunately, I still had not received the NAW so I filed a claim with PayPal. Even though it was supposedly shipped, he promptly refunded my money.

I'll post back if it ever shows up in the mail.

That display is nice, I'd possibly order when it becomes available for my LC-1, but I'd have to wait for it to show up for others first.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'v had a JAW sitting around since 07 in bits until recently.

My friend Tj finaly got the board together and bought a Bosh sensor for it.

We dont have a case or a harness yet and I'll have to install bungs in our various cars soon so our only experience with it is with it sitting in a hole drilled in his probes tail pipe and a tangle of wires trainlig the legnth of the car to the unit sitting in the arm rest and the display hanging from the visor :rolleyes:

Inacurate as hell but it seems to work as described. At idle and low speed the AFR's are completely off because of the fresh air contamination (30:1 + at idle lol) but near redline at WOT it displays low 11's and some high 10's.

In the next few weeks I'll weld a bung to his stock header and one to my Pacesetter cat back. It has to be in the CB because I dont have the equipment to weld stainless.

I'd like to see where my Firebird is at now with the ported intake and 24# injectors, I have an AFPR installed now so I can start some basic tuning.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Unfortunately, I still had not received the NAW so I filed a claim with PayPal. Even though it was supposedly shipped, he promptly refunded my money.
I don't know what to say to this, I'm a bit shocked that you went to a third party rather than just asking him directly, why? I bet he'd have acted the same way if you had just said "refund please". We must come from quite a different cultural background.

but I'd have to wait for it to show up for others first.
Suffering from a bit of paranoia there?

our only experience with it is with it sitting in a hole drilled in his probes tail pipe

SNIP

Inacurate as hell but it seems to work as described. At idle and low speed the AFR's are completely off because of the fresh air contamination (30:1 + at idle lol) but near redline at WOT it displays low 11's and some high 10's.
Now, don't get upset this time, but I don't believe you were crystal clear in this. That is, there *are* multiple ways to read these statements and draw conclusions. Thus I'd like to clarify :

By "sitting in a hole drilled in his tail pipe" you literally mean sitting unsealed and close to the end? It sounds like you understand the problems here in terms of air contamination, but just for other readers, even if it was sealed around the edges, sitting near the back means it will see air because of pressure pulses and reversion - even at higher speeds.

By "inaccurate as hell" you are solely referring to the air contamination right, not talking about the actual accuracy of the device and its ability to read the sensor. I'd like to see this one cleared up and made explicit as to me it reads like "JAW sucks" - note, just that sentence reads this way.

Fred.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Obviously Fredio, you have a personal interest in the 14point7 stuff as you are a moderator on their board.
I don't know what to say to this, I'm a bit shocked that you went to a third party rather than just asking him directly, why? I bet he'd have acted the same way if you had just said "refund please". We must come from quite a different cultural background.
I did go directly to him. He claimed it was shipped two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived. Perhaps I am the one in a thousand where the package is lost. Or perhaps it was never shipped as Alan said it was.
Suffering from a bit of paranoia there?
There's a saying you must not have heard of... "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Even though I was refunded this time, doesn't mean I would be the next. 14point7 isn't a bank/stock market/CD, and I'd rather get interest while my money's being held.

Read my previous posts in this thread to see how communicative I was to him and he was to me. He claimed it was finally shipped. What else can he possibly say if it still wasn't here after two weeks? He also claimed when I first ordered it'd go out that Thursday, then the next Wednesday, then...... If he had none in stock, I would have been much more understanding to that response followed by either a refund so I can re-order in 30 days, or some sort of communication to that effect.

There's only a 45 day windows for PayPal disputes to be filed. I wasn't going to lose $62 on something I wasn't going to receive. If it did ship, perhaps 14point7 should rethink their shipping so they can have a tracking number. They would have entered that in my dispute and probably been fine once it arrived.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Obviously Fredio, you have a personal interest in the 14point7 stuff as you are a moderator on their board.
No, I'm a moderator on MY board, and he on his. I have no personal interest in his business, no more than diyautotune which i also plug after having received good service from them. If Alan said he shipped it, I'd bet he did.

Alan isn't out to rip anyone off. If you think that you are delusional. However, as I said above, he is slow to ship sometimes.

I find it ironic that you refer to the stock market as something reliable. Having worked in that industry for a year now I can quite definitely inform you that the stock markets are nothing more than glorified gambling which is a low form of human activity at all times. On the other hand, buying from Alan isn't a gamble, Alan is a good guy, end of story.

Fred.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
No, I'm a moderator on MY board, and he on his.
My mistake here. I wasn't familiar with your board.
Alan isn't out to rip anyone off. If you think that you are delusional. However, as I said above, he is slow to ship sometimes.
Maybe listing the order of events will help you understand.

1 - I paid.
2 - Alan e-mailed saying it would ship in a couple days.
3 - I asked again in a week.
4 - Alan e-mailed again saying it would ship in a couple days.
5 - I asked again in two weeks.
6 - Claimed it shipped the week before.
7 - Item didn't show up within 2 weeks after that.
8 - Filed PayPal claim.
9 - Provided refund with no explanation.

Obviously you have never been scammed, but this is how it goes. *They* (the scammer) tries to push you outside of the dispute window by constantly giving hope that the item will ship soon. Then never ship anything.

All he had to do was say "look, you are the only guy who actually bought one in the last 40 days, so I don't feel like going to the post office". Then provided a refund and said to order again in 60 days when he might be more willing to take a trip to the post office. Same scenario if they were back ordered or just on order.

Maybe someone else took the plunge based on your thread here and got one already. It'd be great if they could chime in for others to learn about this item. I am likely the minority as the guy seems very responsive. But just because I might be in the minority, doesn't mean I'll hush up so others don't know what *can* happen if they happen to be in the minority as well.

Edit - I'm done discussing the poor business skills of 14point7.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

1 - I paid.
7.5 - I told him it hadn't showed up and requested a refund
7.75 - I didn't get the refund and didn't get a response

8 - Filed PayPal claim.
Seems like I understood it perfectly well. I've fixed the above list, actions 7.5 and 7.75 are basic common courtesy IMO. The internet is part of real life, if you go to a third party without confronting the individual involved it is just poor form really. If after 7.5 you got no response or refund the PayPal claim would be entirely reasonable. You would have got your response though, no doubt.

If you understand scammers as well as you say you do, if he responded post 7.5 with "i'll send another" or "it's on it's way" you'd leave it a little more and file your claim just before close.

I personally know of plenty of people that have received goods from Alan including myself. He may be slack, but he is no scammer!!

Fred.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I
By "sitting in a hole drilled in his tail pipe" you literally mean sitting unsealed and close to the end? It sounds like you understand the problems here in terms of air contamination, but just for other readers, even if it was sealed around the edges, sitting near the back means it will see air because of pressure pulses and reversion - even at higher speeds.

By "inaccurate as hell" you are solely referring to the air contamination right, not talking about the actual accuracy of the device and its ability to read the sensor. I'd like to see this one cleared up and made explicit as to me it reads like "JAW sucks" - note, just that sentence reads this way.

Fred.
Thats exactly it. I cant say that the JAW is accurate or not at this point except that it functions as a neat light show and that it dose respond to different oxygen levels that the sensor is exposed to.

I'll try to get my cars setup this week with bungs but Tj is out of town now so I cant get the reader back just yet. It involves a sudden decline of a family members health so we were more concerned with being sure his car was good for a 1600 mile road trip than we were with continuing with the project.

To clarify, the only reason I said "in-acurate as hell" was because of our improvised mounting.

Reactions: fredio54

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mistake here. I wasn't familiar with your board.

1 - I paid.
8 - Filed PayPal claim.

Obviously you have never been scammed, but this is how it goes. *They* (the scammer) tries to push you outside of the dispute window by constantly giving hope that the item will ship soon. Then never ship anything.

All he had to do was say "look, you are the only guy who actually bought one in the last 40 days, so I don't feel like going to the post office". Then provided a refund and said to order again in 60 days when he might be more willing to take a trip to the post office. Same scenario if they were back ordered or just on order.

Maybe someone else took the plunge based on your thread here and got one already. It'd be great if they could chime in for others to learn about this item. I am likely the minority as the guy seems very responsive. But just because I might be in the minority, doesn't mean I'll hush up so others don't know what *can* happen if they happen to be in the minority as well.

Edit - I'm done discussing the poor business skills of 14point7.
I just found this thread from doing a google search.

My name is Alan, and I am the guy that runs 14point7.com

If this is considered as spam or unwelcome advertising then sorry mods, please delete my post.

I ship NAW_OEM using the postal service, I put the product in a bubble mailer and slap a postage stamp on it, postage costs about $1-$2 depending on delivery location. If I use any service with tracking it costs me atleast $15 for delivery to USA and $40 for international. I can not imagine that anyone would be willing to pay $15-$40 shipping on a $50 product.

I can not say what exactly happened in this case. But probably it went something like this.

-You ordered
-I shipped out about 1-2 weeks after that
-Item was lost in transit
-You wait 2 weeks
-You get paranoid
-You file dispute
-I give you your money back, likely it was the very same day as you filed the paypal claim. I did not give an explanation because the explanation is obvious from my perspective; customer did not get the item so I am giving a refund.

I always ship out my orders, no one has ever been scammed. All my customers either receive product or gets a refund. There has never been a single case where someone is out of pocket and does not get product.

I am sorry for the bad experience.

Regards,

Alan To

1 - 20 of 22 Posts