Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Mazda mx-6 with the 2.0 liter four cylinder and i recently put a ractive intake on it. When i did that i replaced the hose that went from my valve cover to my intake with a breather. Lately while sitting at stop lights i have noticed it smells like burning oil in the car and there is smoke coming out of the breather. Sometimes it is just a little but other times it is a considerable amount. Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well you have disconnected part of the car's emmisions control system by doing this, so I don't know if it's really a big problem. I would try to have a line tapped to the intake so that you can hook the hose back up the way it was before. Or you could also have a bad piston ring seal and be burning oil.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Its normal blow-by gasses escaping. These fumes, and the pollutants they carry, are the very reason cars are required to be equipped with a closed crankcase ventilation system (more often called a "positive crankcase ventilation" or PCV system).

By installing the breather, you've opened the system to the atmosphere.

Do whatever you can to close the system again, without just plugging it up. Try to find a way to plumb that hose back into the intake again. Go to a local autoparts store...sometimes you'll find a wall full of adapters, grommets and miscellaneous do-dads that you can roach up to make work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the replies guys. I put that breather on becasue I heard that it helped relieve pressure but lately have been hearing that it is not something you want so i am going to remove it and redo it with a line going into my intake again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts