Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just driving my car (in a parking lot no less) and I noticed there was smoke coming from the left side rear tire. I immediatley parked it and got out to have a look. I couldn't see anything hot or burning, but it smelt like something was definitley burning. I drove it back home and it didn't smoke as much but I still smelt something burning. The wheel was also hot as all hell so I couldn't take it off to have a look. I'm letting it cool down right now, but anyone ever have this problem or know what it could be?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Its hard to say what went wrong but the way you explained (being 1 side) it sounds like your brake siezed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i figured it was brake related. Perhaps the ebrake got stock on this side? If it is the brake that seized is there anyway to fix that with out taking the brake off?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Your caliper locked up (notorious problem on 93-95 models.) Get both the rear ones replaced while you're having the work done. You should really get the discs resurfaced too, especially if that calipers been grinding one down. Good luck.

Rabbit

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just an update, I just drove my car around to see if the problem was still there and I noticed nothing abnormal. I played with the ebrake (engaged it, disengaged it repeatedly) and I now I noticed nothing weird. Could that have been the problem, the ebrake just sticking, or is more likely something with the calipers? If it happens again I'll defitley have the problem looked at.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dude its the caliper seizing, I'm sinking in the same boat you are but my car is getting put away next week. Get your calipers replaced because you think it won't happen again but you e-brake will stick to caliper again and you will get stuck somewhere like me. Don't use your e-brake again until you can get it fixed, but I gaurentee you that it will happen again and you will be replacing more parts than just a caliper, like me.

Jon

By the way the smoke was your burning brake pads so they will prob have to be replaced too.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
allworldkj said:
just an update, I just drove my car around to see if the problem was still there and I noticed nothing abnormal. I played with the ebrake (engaged it, disengaged it repeatedly) and I now I noticed nothing weird. Could that have been the problem, the ebrake just sticking, or is more likely something with the calipers? If it happens again I'll defitley have the problem looked at.
sometimes they sieze (usually one side or the other, rarely both at the same time) and then work themselves loose again after cooling down.

get under there and use wd40 (a lot) to "rinse out" whatever hinging surfaces you can get to, then grease it all with white lithium. mine has been fine for 6 months like this ;)

i had replaced mine twice with rebuilds and quite frankly can't be bothered anymore (i never seem to get the updated design even though i specify it)

so i carry a hammer and liquid wrench in my tool box in the trunk.. a few quick taps with the hammer seems to be all it needs to release if it sticks again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had my calipers replaced about a year ago. The whole rear brake was essentially new and has about 20 thousand miles on it.
I shouldn't have to replace them again.
Should it be seizing even though its fairly new? Any other way to get this fixed other than tapping it witha hammer when it locks up?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Nope, no other good way to fix it other than what Goat mentioned.

If they are seizing already, prolly a lousy rebuild.
-Garrett

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had this problem about 6 - 8 months ago, with both calipers seizing...I tried greasing it and using penatrating oil but it kept seizing. I replaced both rear calipers w/ 1996 calipers and have not had this problem since.

The 96 calipers I received were different than the 93 - 95 calipers I have seen... They have this blue plastic tube-like protrusion that the stock ones and this other 94 at the shop didnt have.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mazdarabbit said:
re you sure they did the whole rear brakes? Not just discs, shoes, pads shims etc?? Take a look at the invoice and check. It really does sound like your calipers seized up.

Rabbit
yeah the whole rear brakes are essentially new (less than a year old).
but i had the same problem tonight, I couldn't even back up my car. is there anything that can fix this other than replacing the calipers again? its really a pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i've had "newly remanned" calipers go within the same summer.

lol

the only other thing to check perhaps is the rear proportioning valve? perhaps too much pressure is bleeding to the back brakes, forcing their "open" setting to have been reduced, to a rubbing?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the brake has seemed to completely have locked up. Its been like this for over a day now. I've tried the wd40 and the hammer but wasn't able to release it. Any other tricks? Because as of now I cant really even move it to take to a garage or some place.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can vouch for the rear calipers seizing frequently on these cars as I just had mine replaced for the third time since I had the car. In my case, my rear brakes were squealing and I had a friend depress the brakes while I observed the calipers during the process. At this point, I noticed that the calipers were not "biting" as they should. I then took the rear brakes off and tried to sand the rust and grime off the calipers and placed them back on. It helped, but only modestly. In the end, I had to get the calipers replaced. It sounds like you may have to do the same. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
allworldkj... you use to post here a LONG time ago. I'm suprised you don't know this problem with your car.

but like everyone has stated, it is the rear caliper. Knock the hell out of it, and get it to a shop to be replaced.

Nice to see an old member post again... good luck man.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I knew of the problem, so I replaced the rear callipers before I had any problems with them hoping to avoid this situation. I wasn't aware it could still happen with relatively new calipers. So essentially I could replace them again and could still have to deal with this problem again?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts