Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in CT, driving home on I-91 tonight, about 7:30 or so. There wasn't any traffic, I was crusin at 65 - 70 (speed limit 65) in the middle lane, just chillin really. BTW I have a stock 2.0 4 AT 96'. Anyway, there was this black car flyin in the left lane, so I thought what the hell let me floor it, by the time he got to me I was goin maybe 85 - 90, he flies by, but hits his brakes and lets me catch up. I figure it'll be a good time, so hey let's do this. Keepin it down to the floor I get up to him and blow by him, he ain't even movin faster than like 75 - 80.. I get to a hundred, maybe hundred five and this guy musta started to hit the gas cause his car seriously looked like it lifted off the road and that man was just gone, he musta have been goin buck thirty buck fourty by the time he slowed to let me catch up to him. I pulled off and he got off with me, turns out he had a turbocharger and all kinds of crazy shiznit in his car. Told me he races every day, I seriously have never been smoked that bad before
-Shawn
PS now I need some serious advice to beef up my Hp/torque/0-60 and QT Mile speed. lemme know all you gearheads!! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
that was cool of him to turn off at least, so he could tell you what you lost to! Woulda sucked more if you never knew what he had under the hood....
hr

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was pretty cool of him, but damn, i just had absolutely no chance, not a damn one
it sucks :<
shawn

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is a little off the subject, but I believe you were asking before about anyone living in CT, sedster. I used to live in Seymour which is in the middle of Bridgeport and Waterbury. I moved to PA about 3 years ago, but I still visit CT pretty frequently. Where do you live at?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in East Haven, in between New Haven and Branford
-shawn

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wilmx6

I don't know why he would, but it was fast. real fast
-shawn

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
a grand am? who would have thought! thats the perfect reason why he must have done the work to it... who would ever expect a run of the mill grand am to have some kick? its a perfect sleeper!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speedster

Thats what I have been thinking too. A little update on that story, I saw this guy at McDonalds today (2/21) and he remembered me. It turns out he owns a custom body shop near my house. It's called custom creations. He has a 185 hp boost NOS system. He told me that he had to totally rework the supspension and frame to handle that kind of power.A fully custom intake system, fully custom exauhst, custom leather interior, bored cyldinders, shaved emblems of everything, he also told me that the turbo on his car with everything brings him to 236 hp. Now if my calculations are correct that is a Grand Am with approx. 420 ponies. Talk about a sleeper that can wake the f&*k up
-shawn :<

G

·
say what you want, but a grand am with out the turbo or the mods would still take a 2.o 4 cyl auto...the GA is at least 3.1 V6, some models have more...at least if he has a newer one (96 or newer).

[Edited by MazdaManiac on 02-22-2001 at 02:07 PM]

·
Registered
379 Posts
When the previous-gen Grand Am, Buick Skylark, and Oldsmobile (under)Achieva came out in 1992, they were available with either a DOHC 2.4L I4 (second-gen version of the Quad Four with tiwn balance shafts) or the 3.3L V6, which was a reduced-displacement version of the 3800 90-degree V6 that Buick developed in the early 60s, sold to Jeep, in the late 60s, and bought back from Jeep during the OPEC oil crisis. After a couple years, this was replaced by the 3.1L 60-degree V6 that dates to the 2.8 that bowed in with the Chevy Citation back in 1980 (the 3.4L V6 used in the GM minivans, the Aztek/Rendezvous, and the base Chevy Impala is another offspring of the design). The 3.1 has been the V6 of choice for GM's compact car line ever since.

·
Registered
332 Posts
late 80s Grand Ams came with optional turbos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gotta reply to this! Just gottaaa ;)

I have a 1990 olds cutlass with a 3.1, I've enjoyed it now since 1995 when i bought it with 78k on it, for harsh weather in New York State. 1 original owner......Paid on it for 2 yrs....Paid off in 97/98
Well the real fun came in 2006 when i added a thunderbolt performance catalytic converter "illegal in California" ;) Then dropped my old rusted dynomax muffler. Got a new perf muffler. Noticed that my torque skyrocketed after just those 2 mods....Now I've gone from granny to smoke my tires at lights. I've made a very capable sleeper. I enjoy smoking rice quite often ;)
So to make a long story short, I can't blame the Grand Am guy. Our cars aren't as heavy as big boat trans ams/camaros.....My olds is 600 pounds lighter then my bros 3.8L 2001 camaro....thats some serious weight....
Other mods I'm considering after repairing trans, aluminum pulleys, chip maybe. Pulleys will feel like a turbo. Although perf cat easily felt like adding a turbo....Anyway....It's easy to see why I still have the car. It's just plan damn fun.....screw car payments. Hats off to Grand Am guy ;)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
^Aren't you the same guy who replied to 3 year old thread yesterday?:rolleyes:
woo! 6 year old thread. liven it up!! hahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts